The Unexpected Accident (Pt. 1)

Kassie's POV

I never knew that it would happen, most of all yesterday. Emmett Cullen actually talked to me, someone outside of his family. What is that supposed to mean?

"Kass, are you ready?" I hear my older twin call to me from downstairs, and immediately I get up from my bed and get my book bag. Thanks to that weird dream of mine, I haven't been able to go back to sleep since four in the morning. 

And for some reason, just thinking about what happened yesterday puts a big, goofy smile on my face. I can't get rid of it, no matter what I do, so I just leave it there. 

But when I look out the window, I see that there is ice on our driveway and the nearby streets. Great. Driving will be a hassle, and I will have to stay at Bella's side at all times to make sure she doesn't hurt herself. But either way, I keep the smile on my face as I get out of my room. I do not want the visible ice to upset my mood, or ruin Bella's. Though I am sure she already noticed, her curiosity getting the best of her again, as usual. 

Dad already left for work, so it's just us, Bella and I. I sigh as I race down the stairs and meet her by the door. 

"Yup, let's go sis," I say, and she raises a brow as she reads my expression. 

"Did something happen between you and Emmett?" I laugh and shake my head.

"Nope, but it was weird. He talked to me, someone outside his little circle, in Spanish yesterday," I tell her, and her brow furrows, probably thinking the same thing as I am. She says nothing else as she leads the way out of the house, locking the door behind her. 

"How about we take your car?" Bella asks me, and I look at her, confused. She only smiles as she says, "Your car is probably four-wheel drive, and I don't think mine is." I nod and get inside, her getting in after me into the passenger's seat. 

After we get to school, I park in a space as far from the silver Volvo as possible, once again, and groan when I see the ice is worse than usual in this spot, but it is the only spot available that is far from the Cullens. 

I get out of the car with my sister, and when I look up, I see that Emmett Cullen and Edward Cullen are looking at my sister and I. But then Edward's eyes shift to mine, and I roll my eyes as I look back at my sister. 

"You alright, sis?" I ask her as she ducks down near the back of the truck. She doesn't respond, and so I go back with her, and my eyes catch a glint of silver. 

"The tires," we both say at the same time, and I lean down beside her to inspect them. Sure enough, I see that there are silver chains wrapped all around each tire, tight and secure. I wonder if he got up very early in the morning to do this for us. He must have. 

"Dad," I tell her, and she nods, knowing exactly what I mean. 

"He did this," she says, and then what happens next is not what I expect to. 

A screeching noise catches my ears, and I immediately turn around to see what is going on. And what I see is terrifying. 

A blue minivan, that I soon recognize as Tyler Crowley's, is skidding towards us, getting closer by the second. My heart starts to accelerate, making my pulse start to hammer in my veins, pounding. The tires whine and shriek against the ice-covered gravel of the parking lot, and I immediately see that it will hit my sister. It's heading straight toward her. I have to do something. 

"Bella, move!" I shout, and she turns to me, eyes wide, and I can see that she knows what is going to happen. 

"Kass, no-!" I push her out of the way, and put myself in her place, squeezing my eyes shut, waiting for the impact. 

The tires shriek, closer to me now, and I curl up into a ball, knowing already that I won't be able to make it in time. Running won't help. 

"Kassie!" I hear Bella scream, but I cannot respond. I am frozen in shock and fear of the oncoming destruction. 

But nothing happens for the next few moments. My body tenses as it feels cold arms wrapping around me, holding me against the person, whoever it is, and I open my eyes, afraid of what I will see. 

It is not who I expect it to be. 

Emmett Cullen's bright, golden eyes look into my dark-chocolate brown ones.

"Kassie, are you alright?"