5 An Addiction and a Disaster

Bastian

I feel Lola level a hot glare at the group of females surrounding me. I suppress the smirk flirting around my mouth. I love it when Lola is jealous. It makes her so damn hot for me. We'll have a good time tonight. It's important to keep Lola panting for me, goddess knows I crave her like an addiction.

"Maureen," Lola greets her fellow cheerleader with a cold voice.

Maureen's fingers slide off of my arm, thank the goddess. She's like a leech, always clinging where she isn't wanted. I wrap my arm around Lola, my wolf inhaling her scent with satisfaction that she smells only of her this morning. He hates it when Lola carries the scent of other males. He always has loathed her behavior, but, oddly, enough, he doesn't hate Lola, herself.

"Hey, Loles," I squeeze her a little tighter. For a moment I pretend that she is my mate, my female. I can hug her and hold her and show everyone how much I love my female and how much she loves me, too.

Maureen's voice shatters the daydream.

"Did you see Alpha Ryker this morning, Lola?" her catty attitude makes Lola stiffen at my side. "He just kept staring at you."

I let go of Lola and step back to lean against the wall, crossing my arms over my chest. A feeling of complete bitterness washes over me. Ryker Holden is pure alpha. I can't take the thought of him stealing Lola from me.

"He wasn't staring at me," Lola inserts. Her warm, chocolate eyes dart to me before sliding away. "He was teaching us, Maureen. Maybe he'd stare at you if you ever had an answer to one of his questions."

"So you think he's a good teacher?" I interject. I want to bite my own tongue after saying it. The point of talking to Maureen and her posse of bitches is to make Lola jealous, not me.

"He knows a lot," Lola hedges.

I take a step away from the wall, crowding into her, "careful what he teaches you, hmm?"

Anger flashes in her eyes. I put my finger over her luscious, red lips before she can say another word. I don't need a repeat of our argument in the car about Holden.

An incoming text pings on Lola's phone. I drop my hand and give her a fraction more space so that she can pull it out. She glances down at it and frowns.

"What's wrong?" I ask her.

"My mom wants to know if I can talk to her after school. I have to go call her from the pack offices."

I nod. Lola's parents are always traveling and the landlines in the offices are free for international calls. She can't use her cell phone for more than just a few texts back and forth to them. So, she goes to the offices after school to speak with them maybe once or twice a week.

"I'll take you," I offer.

She smiles at me. "You have practice, Bast. I'll walk."

"Alright. Call me when you're done?" I ask. I really want to spend the afternoon with her. We haven't had a nice, relaxing day in a long time.

She walks away, calling back over her shoulder, "OK, Bastien."

I ignore Maureen when she tries to grab my attention again. I don't want to talk to another female.

---

Lola

Hope is great thing. I hope I can get to my room before anyone sees me. I hope that I can sleep alone tonight. I hope that no one ever finds out just how much of a whore I am.