38 A Twist

Mackenzie

Pieces of my life are cracking apart, knitting together, splitting and mending on a cycle that is dizzyingly fast. I watch Bastian and Lola bristle in offense, Ryker goes still in his fury, while I just see the spinning colors of auras and intentions and plans whirl together sickenly. I've spent years hiding what I can do, even from myself, but I can't hide as the Luna. I have to be here, hearing this. I have to deal with it.

Gillian's accusation shimmers in the air as though it has a life of its own. Maybe it does. I may be marked and mated, the Luna, but if she is pregnant with Ryker's pup...

I swallow down my nausea and begin to take a step away from Ryker. He grasps my hand tightly, not letting me escape, but that's not what I intended. I just want enough distance to look him in the face. I gulp nervously. He's not looking at me, instead dark grey eyes filled with loathing are fixed on Gillian.

It is such a putrefying amount of hatred that even her smug attitude falters. It's different from the attitude he has when he dealt with the wolves who we executed. He was cold, then. Now, he's all burning hatred.

I see the scene we are making almost as if I were the director and not a participant. I feel separate, alone. Ryker is clinging to my hand like a lifeline. My fingers are going numb from his grip. Gillian, the bitch, is standing there... nervous. Her father is smug and furious, one arm wrapped around his daughter's shoulders in comfort and support. I feel a pang at that sight. Maybe I should call Samuel...

Bastian is glaring at Ryker, his arms wrapped tightly around Lola. Lola is... staring at Gillian with an amused smirk.

"Lola?" I say her name questionably. Of everyone in the room Lola seems to be sharp, an angry dagger pointed right at Gillian.

Lola flashes me a comforting smile, then turns back to Gillian and Don. "Tell me, Gillian, you claim that you became pregnant after Alpha Ryker found his mate?"

"Yes," Gillian hisses, glaring at Lola. Discomfort, a feeling of nausea rolls over me. I'm not sure who it's from. It may be my own or someone else's. I'm not sure of anything right now. Those words just keep pounding away in my head, "pregnant, it's yours, Alpha."

Lola's voice rips me from my thoughts, "and our Luna, Mackenzie, did not fully feel the effects because she had voiced her opposition to her match." What a way to put a rejection, Lola, I think.

"I have no idea," Gillian scoffs.

Don interrupts, "yes, yes, this girl rejected you, Alpha, and you went to my daughter. Now you must honor the promises you made to her."

"I made no promises. I will not set aside my Luna." Ryker's voice was filled with dark violence. I flinch. He murdered Cassie in cold blood, what will he do to Gillian? Hell, I'm surprised she's still breathing. Her pup may be the only reason for why she's still alive.

"Of course not," Lola soothes. "That would be a disaster. Alpha Ryker has over five thousand packmembers and over twice as many humans who depend on his leadership. The RueHarbor pack needs their true Luna, Mackenzie."

Don flinches at my title falling so casually from Lola's bright red lips. He's not ready to give up, the smugness radiating from him not really dimming in the slightest. "I question if this child is the Luna, Alpha, if you can go to another so easily."

"I do not recall this... event." Ryker grinds out.

Lola smiles gently at him while patting a seething Bastian's arm. "Why not?"

"I drank."

I shiver and let Ryker pull me back into his embrace, wrapping my arms around his waist. For him to be so drunk as to blackout... That was not an easy feat for an Alpha. The sheer amount of liquor he would have had to consume is crazy high. The thought that I drove him to that was awful.