13 Suspicions Start

Bastian

I hear the other kids come home. They are quiet, silent, almost. Everyone feels it, that something is wrong. Jacob is missing, and Samuel, but I don't care about that right now.

Light footsteps come down the hall and stop at my door. A soft knock, followed by a sweet voice.

"Bastian?" Cassie calls out.

I brush my mouth over Lola's again before getting up and pulling on a pair of jeans. Lola remains on her side, facing away from the door.

I open it to Cassie's inquisitive face.

"Hey, Cassie, what's up?" I almost visibly wince at how bad I am at acting.

She shoots a look past me into my room. I am blocking the door and kind of hope that she can't really see Lola. I just want to get back into bed and hold her a little more.

"Hi Bastian, is Lola... um, in here? I can't find her or Mackenzie," she sweetly explains.

Her eyes shift to the bed as I respond. "Yeah, we took some time off early. Mac went out."

Cassie stiffens. Goddess be-damned, her jealousy crosses her face so openly, followed by a flash of emotion that I swear is hatred tossed directly at Lola. It makes my wolf growl and my own back straighten in offense. I know these two females, and Lola has never hurt Cassie, not that I've seen.

"You know she was with Alpha Ryker today?" Cassie asks with a hard voice.

"She spoke with him, Cassie. I know," I bristle up at her.

She smirked, smug. "She likes him. I think she'll try to change packs soon."

I swallow back the stinging retort on my tongue. "Nah, Lola belongs here, with me- us."

She scowls. "Oh, well, your father called, too. He wanted to know where you and Lola were."

"Did he?" I examine her face for clues. Goddess, please let me be wrong.

"Mmhm. He asked for you, too, and I told him I would pass along the message."

"Thanks, Cassie. I'll call him soon. Just let me get Lola woken up and dressed and we'll be downstairs." I push off of the door frame to close the door.

"Oh, ok," Cassie's face twists in bitter jealousy again.

I shut the door and shake my head. My father wants me to date that spoiled brat? She spent our disastrous date bad-mouthing several of the kids in her grade and the rest of the date stroking my ego to try to manipulate me. I have always given Cassie the benefit of the doubt with how she treats Lola. Lola is older, beautiful, popular, more confident. Cassie is the baby in the packhouse, next to Marley. Had I given her the wrong impression, letting her think that Lola was nothing more than some toy I would throw away for a new girl?

I winced. Yeah, I had given her that impression. I had believed it myself.

Feeling disgusted with myself, I crawl back into bed with Lola. She is stiff, angry and hurt, but she willingly comes to me. She always accepts me and I love it.

"She hates me." Her voice is a soft croak.

"She's jealous, baby." I'm relieved Lola is speaking again. I'll never forget the look of blood pouring from her mouth while her eyes roll back into her head.

I think my dad Ordered Lola to prevent Ryker from being with his mate. His command must have clashed with mine.

She hides her face in my chest. "She shouldn't be," she mumbles.