12 Bonds and Blood

Ryker

I seethe with hatred for all of them. Happy children, without a fucking care in the world. Infants, irresponsible, filled with promise and hope. I cannot take it but at least being here is better than at home, surrounded by all of the beautiful clothes and jewelry and gifts waiting for my mate.

My mate.

My young pack members barely look at me. The entire pack, all three thousand three hundred and forty seven of them, can feel the loathing and rage leaking out beyond my mental blocks.

My wolf wants to smash through all of these young wolves. The Harbor pack will feel it first. We can just see their dead eyes, their bloody, broken bodies. We can smell their fear and torment when we start killing all of her friends, her family. Maybe we will start with her brothers. Then she will come back to us. When she has no one else. When we orphan her. We will make her come back to us.

I slam the palms of my hands against my eyes. Goddess. What kind of a freak am I? Shame fills me. No wonder she doesn't want to mate a monster eight years her senior.

It's only noon and I am losing it. My thoughts are scattered. Maybe I should track my Mackenzie's friend down and force her to reveal what she knows about my mate. The fucking Harbor Alphason may have a problem if I rough up his girl, but I could care less.

No. Mac will never forgive me if I hurt her friend. That girl with the sad brown eyes is good to my mate.

Just thinking of her name sends another jolt of pain through me. My Mackenzie. Mine. My sweet mate. My luna.

Fuck it. I am the damned Alpha of the RueClaw. No little sophomore in high school is going to reject me. I'll just claim her and mate her before she can protest.

If I can find her.

I leave the school building. I don't want to go home, so I go to the office in the center of town. All of the Alphas have an office in town. Inter-pack meetings take place here in Louvel Bay. The town is considered a neutral territory for all four packs.

Right now I just want the peace of being alone. I need a plan or I will do something I'll regret.

AR: Mackenzie Larsen. Find her.

I put out the notice to all of my best warriors. Fuck it if they wonder why I am searching for her. On second thought...

AR: No one harms a fucking hair on her head.

I get immediate affirmative responses pinging into my phone. Good.

"Alpha." The voice is tentative. I scowl to myself before the owner of the voice registers. Nanty. Twenty-two, mated, the fucker. Gamma status, currently employed right outside this fucking building as a guard.

"What?" I snarl.

He swallows, pale. "Ah, A Lola Greer is here to see you? She seems pretty frantic, and she's not alone. Another girl is with her. She looks in bad shape-"

"Send her in!" I roar. Goddess, is it Mackenzie? Is the rejection hurting her? I don't want my baby to hurt.

The Harbor alphason's mate comes in holding up a stumbling Mackenzie.

My mate. Mine.

I have her in my arms a second later, not noticing that I send the other female falling back in my haste to steal my mate back.

Mackenzie immediately wraps herself around me like a boa constrictor. Her arms wrap around my neck. Her fingernails dig into my shoulders and back, her head buries under my chin, her legs wrap around my waist.