Chapter Three

The door to the jail was flung open, banging against the wall and jolting me from my sleep. I flew up off the cot and watched three wolves enter, two holding onto either side of an injured man. They threw him into the cell beside me.

Emmanuel stood from his seat that he apparently true to his word, never left. He asked in hushed tones what was happening. From what I could hear, there'd been an attack near the border of the pack, injuries were horrific and fighting was still going on. Emmanuel tore a hand through his hair, "Jesus."

"They're all in pretty bad shape." One of the wolves said.

"I ran past this one whose head was barely attached, the bite was so bad. The healers are trying but it doesn't look good."

Emmanuel scoffed softly, "And you know our healers are sh:t." He murmured dismissively.

Healers were the most important part of a pack, how could they allow their healers to suck?

Tune them out, it's not your problem. You can't help them, you can't save them. you can't help them it goes against everything our pack stands for.

One of the wolves sniffed almost as if he was or had been crying. "My cousin isn't gonna make it. The b:stards tore his entire stomach open." He sniffed again, "He was on his very first patrol. they had him going out in the morning because it was the least eventful shift. He's only sixteen." His voice cracked.

I slipped off of the cot as quietly as possible and walked closer to the men, my foot landed on a branch of some sort and the sharp crack turned the attention on me.

Emmanuel craned his gaze over to me, staring with a pleading and yet demanding expression. It was almost as if he sensed my internal debate.

"Well?" He asked while staring around the wolf he'd been talking to and boring into my literal soul with his eyes.

The other wolf turned and saw me in the cell, "Well what?" Obviously he was confused.

Emmanuel wanted my help.

I bit my lip as I went over the pros and cons rapidly in my head.

Pro: I could save lives.

Con: My pack could be exposed and put in danger because of me.

Pro: I could save lives

Con: My secret is exposed and I could be put in danger.

I ran my hands through my hair and tightly closed my eyes, I inhaled sharply and wordlessly nodded my head.

Emmanuel already knew, there was nothing I could do to change that. I could go out there and heal some of the dire cases and be on my merry way without anyone else witnessing me working. It would be easy.

Emmanuel quickly fished inside of his pocket, pulling out a key and seconds later my cell was unlocked. He grabbed my wrist and lead me out of the jail, through the halls and finally outside.

The light was blinding when I stepped out and as my eyes adjusted I took in the carnage before me.

There were about two or three bodies strewn across the ground with healers around them, no doubt the surviving members border patrol and about six or seven more with no one in sight around them; those who weren't as fortunate.

The sound of fighting was ringing off in the distance, people rushed to and fro the chaos; bringing bodies to help aide in the fight and bringing bodies back from the fight.

"F:ck," Emmanuel swore as we watched wolves rushing towards the same way we came into the pack.

He turned to me, "I'm trusting you." He started running away from me before skidding to a halt and turning around to face me again, "Don't make me regret that."