Chapter Fifteen

When I woke up I instantly could sense something different in me. I felt almost stir crazy in a way, like a tiny flame inside was trying to get out of me. I was consumed with only one thought at all—Azrael.

The heat was kicking in.

I groaned and turned over in bed and almost jumped when I saw Azrael sitting peacefully against the headboard of the bed, going through various shuffled documents. It was so strange to see him doing something so regular and calm right beside me, it felt very domestic.

My heart pounded against my chest at the sight of Azrael, he was so close and yet our bodies weren't touching. The physical contact was all I craved and I needed in that moment yet he didn't give it to me.

"How's the heat treating you?" Azrael asked coyly and I resisted the urge to whimper upon hearing his deep voice. He was patronizing me because we both knew the one solution to my heat and that was to mate fully.

And since that wasn't happening...

I couldn't even think straight it was maddening so I ignored him and tried to think about something else to distract my mind to no avail. I pushed off the covers because they were suffocatingly hot at this point and turned on my side away from him. All too quickly I realized that Azrael's shirt I had in shifted in my sleep, revealing a glimpse at the curves of my ass. Instantly I tugged the shirt down to cover myself and I silently prayed that my flashing had gone unnoticed.

"You are playing a dangerous little game, mate." Azrael warmed lowly from behind me, as if I would ever intentionally do something like that.

I scoffed and rolled out of bed, I needed to shower or get out for a run—just try something to keel myself occupied during this heat so that I wouldn't succumb to my natural instincts. However the moment I stood up I noticed that something was very wrong with me and it wasn't the heat.

My entire body felt irregularly weak, my vision swirled and suddenly it was difficult to breathe fully. I grabbed onto the bed post for support just as my knees buckled from underneath me. Azrael quickly made his way towards me and to my surprise he placed his hand against my forehead to check my temperature, I felt swelteringly hot from the heat so I anticipated he would find a high temperature. "Fuck's sake Mercy, you're freezing."

He removed his hand and I immediately pressed touched my forehead, it was clammy and broken out in a cold sweat. What was happening to me?

Azrael wrapped an arm around my waist and even in my condition I resisted the urge to gasp from the close contact, he helped support me without the bedpost. "This is not the heat..."

My mind raced as I tried to think of a possible explanation for this sudden turn, had I eaten something funky? Was this just a regular cold?

I wished more than anything that this was something minor but deep inside me I sensed it was more than that which had me quickly slipping into a panic. "Something's wrong, Azrael. I cant explain it but something doesn't feel right." I ran a hand through my hair and it was then that I realized my hands were trembling.

He rubbed his hand against my shoulder to try and generate some heat, "I'm taking you to the infirmary."

Azrael's words didn't do anything to bring me comfort, all I could think about is that if I didn't have this bracelet on none of this would be an issue. "The bracelet—please." I begged him quietly.

He tightened his grip threateningly on my waist, "You are going to the infirmary, I don't want to hear another word of that."

Azrael started to walk and I attempted to follow him but my legs felt numb, I couldn't move them on my own. He frowned and looked slightly concerned as he quickly picked me up into his arms bridal style, in that moment I could care less about my state of undress.