Chapter Sixteen

I couldn't have been unconscious for more than a couple minutes when I was abruptly woken up as a new needle entered my arm. My eyes flew open and I saw McCoy pressing down the top part of a syringe, "What are you doing? What is that?" I mumbled groggily.

McCoy set it down on the cart beside my bed quickly while beginning to untangle me from the various other IV's and wires they'd only just recently attached to me. "Think of it like a steroid," He unattached the last cord from me, "It's not a fix at all to what's happening but it's going to accelerate your body and trick it into thinking you're alright for the time being."

As if on cue, a wave of warmth rolled through my body and I felt more normal with every passing second. Whatever he'd given me was working wonders already but why was he rushing around and why had he given me this medicine in the first place?

"McCoy..." I trailed off as I rubbed my sore wrist from all the IV's, "Is there something I'm missing, what's going on?"

He was turned away from me and I watched his tense body slowly sag in release with a large sigh as he turned back around. "We've got company and not the good kind." McCoy approached me and helped me out of bed, my legs wobbled a little for the first few moments but eventually I was able to stabilize on my own. "...and Alpha Azrael has asked for you."

In my head I believed that I'd only been asleep for a matter of minutes, it seemed strange that in such a short amount of time all of this so suddenly transpired. "How long have I been asleep for?"

McCoy's jaw ticked ever so slightly, it was obvious that he wasn't happy about having to follow Azrael's order and in all honesty I didn't blame him; I couldn't think of any situation or any amount of guests that I'd be needed by Azrael in the condition I'm in.

"Only a few hours, it's just about to be evening." He scribbled some last notes on the chart before tucking it behind his back, "Listen, this shot is very time sensitive and completely temporary. I just needed to be able to get you up, alert and walking to Azrael for a little while, this feeling won't last long."

My heart sunk as the reality behind his words really sunk in, feeling normal wasn't something I could get used to because as long as I wore this bracelet I'd only get worse. I furrowed my brow trying to shut out those kind of thoughts and focus on the bad company I was about to be thrown into, "And who exactly is out there?"

McCoy opened the door and stood to the side, "It's best to see for yourself." I eyed him suspiciously as I passed him through the door, his cryptic response putting me even more on edge than before.

It was storming outside, loud peels of thunder rolling through the sky and heavy sheets of rain making it difficult to see or hear. The only visual breaks were when a crack of lightning illuminated the main pack area and it was on a particularly awful bolt that I saw the so called company McCoy mentioned. To be fair, I couldn't really see them yet, all I could make out was Azrael's back since he was the closest to me and two blurry figures in the distance.

I lifted my hand to try and shield myself from some of the rainfall as I gingerly wandered towards Azrael. My foot made contact with some gravel and in a blink of an eye Azrael was stalking towards me to meet me halfway, I still couldn't make out who the figures were in the distance.

"This is a very big moment for you." Azrael murmured lowly, there was something strange in his voice though...was it concern?

My brow pursed, "What are you talking about, McCoy said that there was—"

He help up a hand with little droplets of rain running down off it. "I want you to think carefully before you act or say anything in a few moments."