All Things Come To Those Who Ache Chapter 6

• Dedicated kay Koky

The Party…

Everything was set on time. The food was out, the bar was packed, and the music was non-stop. As the guest arrived, DJ Arsenal felt it best to start off with Rocking Around the Christmas Tree by Brenda Lee. Cheery yet subtle but not too subtle because as the words played there really were mistletoe hung were you could see, Oliver even hung one up above the front door. He led the guests to where they could hang their coats, and handed out candy canes to every kid that came with their parents. There were about 50 people so far. Oliver was all dressed up wearing a very nice black tuxedo with brand new shoes and a dark green tie. Continuing to greet guests by the door he was very pleased to see Lyla and Diggle approaching him.

“Hey guys. Lyla you look beautiful.” He kissed her on the cheek. Lyla was wearing a chocolate brown sleeveless dress with a white shawl and brown open toe shoes. Her hair was in a lovely curled up do and she wore black earrings complete with a black pearl necklace. Diggle to match her, wore a brown tuxedo with a brown fedora hat and brown shoes, he even had a black silk handkerchief in his right pocket. He was styling.

“Thank you Oliver, you don’t look too bad yourself very snazzy.” Lyla complimented.

“Diggle I can see you’re ready.” Oliver observed him as he started two stepping.

“Are you kidding man? I am all over this. Can you dig it?” Oliver smiled wide chuckling.

“You’ll have to excuse him Oliver apparently my husband took a trip back to the 70s.” Lyla looked at Diggle still two stepping.

“Go, go, have a good time. I’ll catch up.” Oliver waved for them to go inside.

“C’mon woman, let’s go show these people how it’s done.” He held Lyla’s hand, twirled her once and led her onto the dance floor. Oliver watched them in amusement and facing the entrance he recognized another familiar face coming right towards him.

“Mr. Lance. Good evening Merry Christmas.” He shook his hand.

“Merry Christmas Oliver, looks like a helluva party in there.”

“It’s getting there. How are you feeling?” He asked concerned.

“Great… I’m feeling great. Had a follow up earlier this week and my health’s never been better. I tried to get Dinah to come but she’s with her boyfriend’s family this year. She said she’d visit for New Year’s though.”

“I’m glad to hear it on all counts.” Oliver stared at Quentin not knowing what to say next.

“So…” Quentin clapped his hands. “Where is the shrimp cocktail? I’m starving.” He smiled looking through the party.

“It’s right over there, help yourself.” Oliver smiled and pointed to the table full of food and Quentin nodded giving him two pats on his shoulder.

Waiting to see if any more cars pulled up, Oliver stood by the door for a few more minutes before he closed it. He asked one of the staff members to guard the front as he went to mingle. He greeted people left and right making sure everyone was having a good time before he walked up to Diggle and Lyla near the table of food.

“Hey Oliver, have you seen her yet?” Diggle asked as he fixed Lyla a plate. Oliver looked towards the door, and shook his head. “Don’t worry she’ll be here.”

“I hope so Diggle. I hope so. How’s the food?”

“Much better than Big Belly Burger.” Diggle handed Lyla her plate and grabbed a chicken wing.

“Good.” Oliver said as his eyes began to wander. Bruce Springsteen started to play and everyone cheered starting to sing…”Merry Christmas baby, you surely treat me niceeee. Merry Christmas baby, you surely treat me niceee, I feeeeel just like I’m livingggg, living in paradiseeee.”