11 | the beginning of the endgame

11 | THE BEGINNING OF THE ENDGAME

The next morning, the world was quiet

The next morning, the world was quiet. Amelia had never seen the streets of New York City so quiet. Half of the universe's population was gone and people were too terrified to leave their homes. No one knew what to do now that Thanos seemed to have won.

Amelia stood over the bathroom sink with her palms sinking into the counter. Her head hung low and she contemplated whether she had made a mistake giving Thanos and Stin the needed tools to steal away the souls of billions of people. Amelia looked at her abdomen in the mirror. She traced her stitches with her finger, feeling the wound sting as her finger glided along it. She had finally told Steve about her father, Stin, and told him about his alliance with Thanos. Steve was just glad that she was alive. Not just for his own selfish desires to have the love of his life back at his side, but also because he knew if anyone could save the universe it'd be Amelia.

The day was long and dreadful. It seemed like the lingering sun just never wanted to set so that the superheroes could reflect on the previous days' incidents. But, when night finally did fall upon the heroes, they still were thinking about Thanos and what they did wrong. Amelia and Steve finally shared a bed together for the first time in years since Amelia passed (recall she was resurrected) but it still didn't feel natural. Amelia was wrapped up in Steve's arms, feeling a bit more secure and protected. "Tell me you still love me." Amelia asked Steve. She needed stability in that very moment, and she needed to know that Steve hadn't moved on from her and had forgotten about her.

"I will never stop loving you." Steve caressed her head, feeling her soft blonde hair tangle up in his fingers.

"How are the girls?" Amelia asked, rubbing her thumb over Steve's palm.

"They're beautiful. Resilient, like you. And strong, too. Liviana should be back from Wakanda tomorrow afternoon. Valdís is at her place in Queens, hoping her boyfriend, Peter, shows up." Steve answered Amelia.

"Thank you." Amelia spoke softly, feeling tears welling up in her eyes.

"For what?" Steve turned to look down at his wife.

"For taking care of them. For loving them when I couldn't." Amelia elaborated.

"No," Steve sighed, "thank you for coming back to us."

* * *

Another dreadful morning faced the Rogers, and this time Valdís was with her parents. "You're just as I imagined. Dad always talked about you and Liv wouldn't let me forget your face with pictures placed all over her room of you. She wanted to be just like you, you know?" Val let a tear fall down her face as she finally got the chance to analyze her mother. She looked so ethereal. She lived up to every expectation Val had of her; she was badass, strong, powerful and beautiful all at once. It was unfair for someone to be that perfect.

Amelia engulfed her daughter in a hug. "I love you so much. I used to read to you and your sister every night before bed and I cut back on the foul mouthing; your dad thought I was crazy but I knew, somehow, you girls could hear me. I was going to name you two Brooklyn and Christina, after my best friend who I looked up to so long ago." Amelia admitted to her child who seemed so grown now.

"I wish everything could have been different."
"If it were, we wouldn't be who we are today."

* * *

Later on, Amelia was waiting in the airport to pick up Liviana who was making her way back from Wakanda. She looked around and observed her surroundings, a natural espionage instinct from working for SHIELD. She noticed not many people were there waiting to pick up incoming travelers from Wakanda; and those that were there were highly upset. They were bawling or had a shocked look crossing their face. Amelia sat up the chair she was sitting in and checked her watch. The plane seemed to be an hour late. Amelia's phone began to buzz and she rapidly answered it. "Is this the parent or guardian of Liviana Stinson-Rogers?" A monotonous voice rang out over the phone line.

"Yes, this is Mrs. Stinson-Rogers. Is everything okay?" Amelia began to get worried. People only called in such a tone when someone was injured or dead. And she was getting a horrible feeling in her stomach that made her want to throw up.

"Ma'am, I offer my condolences. But, the Wakanda-NYC flight had been compromised and crashed on the westernmost coast of Africa. No passengers survived the crash." The operator continued to speak on and on about insurance and pensions to be given for her loss but Amelia was far too much in shock to even be listening. She had just lost people who she considered family and now her actual child was dead. For once she had realized how human and expendable her and her family's life was. After all that battling against superior beings it was a plane crash that killed her daughter. Nothing was worse than losing a child. It made her sick to the stomach, her throat clenched up so tight she couldn't breathe and boiling hot tears stung her eyeballs.

Amelia wanted to scream out of pure rage at the gods that conducted the unfortunate event of a life Amelia had. She only walked the Earth to suffer and experience hardships. Being alive felt like hell to her because anyone she seemed to care about would be slaughtered or stolen away from her.

* * *

It didn't take but a day for Amelia to have a bodiless funeral for her child. It was ironic that she couldn't even speak at her own daughter's service because she had barely gotten to know her child. And the moment she had finally gotten her back, she was stolen away from her. She didn't know what kind of twisted fate she had, but she hoped it was all in good purpose. She hoped it was part of a grander scheme that could end in a happy ending and preserve the happiness and innocence of billions at the cost of her precious one.

Amelia was dressed appropriately for the funeral and many (those that were left) of friends and family were there. Amelia cried and cried and cried. It was all so unfair.

an: fuck it I couldn't wait until April so here's just a taste of the series of unfortunate events of Amelia's everlasting life that's to come. xoxo hunnys