S I X

158 hours, 53 minutes and 18 seconds

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

He fell into a deep sleep. Not at all comfortable or serene. Thrashing and turning, his figure contorting into distressed shapes, a permanent frown creased on his forehead. Sweat formed at his chest and palms, making him aimlessly wrench at the fabric of his shirt, that coated his upper body.

He dreamt.  He faced a nightmare. Torn between what to call it. More a memory. Yes, a sour- no, not sweet- memory. Of that wretched day.

"Chat! Kitty!"

His body jerked to a halt from his rapid movements.

Her.

"Marinette," he called affectionately into the early morning.

More memories. But not of 'The Day That Shall Not Be Named', but of earlier. Before he retreated to his bed.

Marinette, her betrayed expression ripping his heart to shreds. The sad frown pulling at her lips in resentment of her decision. The tears glistening in her eyes, promising a flooded room later.

"No," he breathed, wanting the dreadful flitting images to flee.

They did. But even worse came to view.

She ran to him. An expression between shock and anger plastered on her masked face. Kneeling down beside him, she held his head in her hands and felt his cold, pale, skin infiltrate her gloved hands. She searched his distraught face. Parted blue lips; dull, green eyes - nothing like the shining ones she knew-; dirt stained his hollow cheeks; blood coating his forehead down to his broken nose.

Tears brimmed in her eyes, depressed and internally displaced at his appearance. But a flicker of something unclear (too unclear for her mind to comprehend) spread through his eyes, as if her registered her presence. Chapped lips stretched to a weak smile, he mustered all his strength to reach a hand to cup her rosy cheeks. She leaned into his touch, smiling along with him.

The rebellion going on around them seemed muted. The battle cries that rang out into the musky air was of another, unknown universe. Blood sprayed and splattered, wet thuds were forgotten. It was just them.

His eyes were heavy, tired and they closed. He released a sigh of bliss, whispering something utterly inaudible, before his arms went limp at his sides.

"Marinette!" His hoarse voice cut through the cold air as Adrien shot upwards, sitting upright and rigid in his bed. His eyes were wide in fear of losing her...again.

No need to fear, she's already gone.

"Fuck you," he hissed at his inner voice, hating why it was always right.

She was gone. It's true. She left him for being the most horrid chauvinistic bastard in the universe.

How could he have said that? Why did he call her that? What in the world had possessed him to say that? But, most importantly, was what he said true?

Was it true? Is it true? Does he really think his only love was...weak?

Yes, he thought to himself, In a manner of speaking, it was.

That day. The day that had all of France quaking in its boots. The day that stole the lives of many, many, people. The day that changed everything.

He could still remember slivers of events before hell broke loose.

His father, cold as ever, but something silently picking at him.

He ignored his fathers behaviour.

Arriving at campus.

Her.

Banding his arms around her waist and kissing her neck from behind.

"Good morning, my lady."

A call from his father.

"Don't come home." The line went dead.

He didn't obey. He came home.

And his whole world fell apart.

The sweat had profusely grown on his shirt to his pants. He shook his head, successfully knocking himself out of his own grim memories. Staring down at his wet clothes, he decided  a shower was in order. Yes, a shower to drain all the worries away and set his mind straight.

He dragged his trembling body off of the bed, taking note to wash the sheets as well. On his way to the bathroom, something white caught his eye in the far corner of the room, on the desk. Curious, he approached the white as though it was a semi-hungry lion, cautious and alert.

It was a note. Folded in half with a perfect cursive 'M'  on the front.

"Marinette," That name once again escaped the prison bars that were his teeth. Her name. Was it her? Maybe it was another death threat from and enemy of his fathers, promising the downfall of the family business.

But the sign was too feminine to be the works of a man. He sniffed the air around it.

Pomegranate.

The bakery scent had disappeared after her parents left, much to his displeasure, but and new, alluring aroma replaced it. It was her.

His heart rate quickened.

With trembling hands and twitching fingers, her reached out, slowly grasping the note tightly. His hold on it almost crumpled the slip of paper, creases and folds forming in between the webs of his fingers.

Two droplets of water materialized on the note. His tears? Hers? He wasn't sure.

He unfolded the note, increasingly tensing at every crinkle and crack that emanated from the paper.

He read,

" 'Adrien,'  a pause. No, 'Kitty', 'Chat' or 'Love'. Just 'Adrien'

'Let's take a break.'

-M' "

'Let's take a break'  he read over, trying to interpret her words, 'Take a break. Break. Breakup'

His heart beat increased further. How had his mind came to that absurd  conclusion.

"Because that's what she means," the voice said inside. 

His hands flew to his head, gripping onto the soft blonde locks and pulling in frustration. "Get out! Get out, get out, get out, get out!" He screamed. Eyes large, face red, jaw tight, muscles flexing.

The voice taunted him, whispering the demented assumptions from the darkest corners of his mind. He found himself caged inside. Enclosed in the black of his heart, the part that still imprisoned the dangerous energy.

The note slipped from in between his fingers, and his pupils dilated profusely.

Then, he found himself once again in his mind, the darkness devouring the bright blye of her eyes that lingered in his head.

She's going

The black swelled to his chest, silent screams escaping his lips.

She's going

The emerald of his eyes disappeared in the dark.

He lost consciousness.

She's gone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello my miraculers!

How was that wonderful insight? Scary, right?

I'm proud of this chapter and I hope you are too. Please hit the vote button and leave a comment.

Lots of love,

~cakeanddonuts~