chpt. eight

"I don't need your help Gabe!"

"Yes, you do." He ran in front of me, halting my movements.

"I wanna help you—"

"But you don't need to!" I argued. I have never raised my voice this much before and it was taking toll of the energy I had left. "Do you get it? You don't need to."

He looked at me sadly before I sighed and walked past him. That was until he blocked me with his arm and asked softly, "What if I need to?"

"I'd ask you why."

"Because.. because.." I watched as Gabe's face contorted into a mix of sadness and anger. For some reason it started to make me feel guilty.

"Look. Gabe. Thanks and all but I don't need your help." I sighed as I moved around him and continued to walk away.

"My sister said the same thing."

My feet slowed down. I wanted to turn around and ask him what he meant but I couldn't find myself to.

Now here I am laying in bed, curiosity and guilt killing me inside for not turning around. I wanted to know what he meant by what he said.

"Dammit!" I groaned as I tossed my blanket off and grabbed an oversized cardigan.

"I can't believe I'm doing this." I mumbled to myself as I hugged my cardigan to my body and  stuffed my feet into some night slippers.

Curiosity sure did kill the cat as I walked towards Gabe's house in just mickey mouse pajama pants, a regular blue tee, my oversized cardigan and my night slippers.  I looked like an absolute wreck especially with my messy ass excuse of a bun on top of my head and glasses that had annoying huge frames.

As I was just about to back out I shook my head and said "You're already here idiot."

Rolling my eyes at myself I knocked on the door and prayed it was Gabe who answered except it wasn't.

Dammit.

"Why, uh, hello sweetie." The woman questionably scanned me from head to toe. "How might I help you?"

"I'm sorry to bother you. I know it's late but is Gabe here? I'm a.. friend from school." I really shouldn't have said that.

"Yes, he is. He's upstairs in his room. I'm sorry I didn't get your name." The woman smiles politely.

"Ramsey. I live right next door."

"Oh my goodness! You're the girl Gabe talks about!"

"Huh—"

"Come on in! I'll call him down." She quickly ushers me inside as confused as I was.

"What do you mea—"

"Gabe! C'mon down here! Your friend is here!" His mom chimes cutting me off again.

What did she mean by that?

"What friend— Ramsey?" He looked at me shocked before taking in my appearance and lightly snickering.

"Cute outfit." He teased.

"Cute spider man boxers." I teased back making him look down and turn a shade of red.

"I-i'll be right back." He awkwardly says before running up the steps making me smirk in triumph.

His mom laughs at him before turning back to me. "Would you like something to drink?"

"Maybe a cup of water. Thank you for the offer." I smiled shyly.