3

Kikyo gave a farmer a gentle smile as she wrapped a bandage around his twisted ankle. The farmer was grateful towards the miko, for taking care of his injured ankle. However, his wife cautiously watched the miko at the side lines of her husband. The wife knew that her husband would cheat on her with the miko and besides Kikyo didn't seem like the sort of women to do that. But the wife feelt insecure, when in comparison to the miko in front of her.

"You should stay of your ankle for a few days, and use the peppermint oil to help reduce the swelling," told Kikyo with a pleasant smile. She rummaged through her bear skin bag to get a vile of peppermint oil for the man. Kikyo handed it over to the injured man.

"Thank you, Kikyo-sama. May the Fudō Myō-ō* protect you and Kaede-sama on your journeys," thanked the farmer. His wife assisted him up from his seat and out of the wooden hut that the head of the village had given to Kikyo and Kaede to stay in while they were in the village.

"It was my pleasure," muttered Kikyo. In her past life she didn't really help people as she does now, a feeling of contentment washed over her. She never knew how much joy one could get from being able to help someone in need. It was her purpose in life, to help those who cannot help themselves and she liked it.

Kaede was teaching some of the younger children how to count, an essential skill for doing business. While Kikyo focused more on the injures that the villagers received, there would be more injuries to treat in the upcoming season of summer. Most notoriously Heat Stroke. Cold water would help as would; onion juice with honey and peppermint and lavender.

Kikyo emptied her bag, doing an inventory check as she had no more patients for today. She clicked her tongue in annoyance because she gave away her last bottle of peppermint. She wasn't annoyed at the injured man, more at herself for not knowing that she gave away the last bottle. Kikyo peaked out from the wooden hut to see how light it was.

The sun still stood brightly in the sky, Kikyo concluded that she had around a few hours until the sun went down. It was decided, the forest was only a small walk from the hut and so she would be back before nightfall. Kikyo knew that she wasn't perfect but she wasn't stupid to go unprepared into a forest by herself, so she brought an empty straw basket, her Saigu-Yumi, and the shikon no tama. Reluctantly, she took the shikon no tama as she didn't want to leave it unguarded.

Kikyo stepped into the semi-quiet forest, geta* crunching on the dirt and fallen twigs. Small animals ran away from the miko. in fear of being killed by her. Kikyo paid them no mind. The peppermint plants were located next to a sakura tree, Kikyo knelt down besides the plants and collected some of the peppermint plants. There was also shiso* plants nearby which she would also collect.

The miko hummed a paradise by coldplay under her breath, as a way to pass the time. Kikyo sensed a twinge of demonic aura fast approaching her, two malicious and a third one further away, if she sensed correctly. They had probably sensed the jewel in her possession. With a deremined look, Kikyo grasped her Saigu-Yumi and placed an arrow in it. Taking a deep breath, Kikyo focused her senses to find the two demons.

'100 yards and decreasing,' thought Kikyo as she let go of her arrow, shooting it straight at the first demon. A painful screech echoed throughout the forest as the first demon was purified. The second demon glanced at were his former 'comrade' was purified with a grin.

The second demons grin only grew bigger. This meant that he wouldn't have to waste his time killing him. The shikon no tama would soon be his and the miko who guarded it would die by his hand.

Kikyo spared no time in reloading a second arrow into her Saigu-Yumi, and checked to see where the other demon had moved too. Kikyo focused more of her reiryoku into the second arrow, moving her position to get a better aim in between the tree lines, where the demon was coming from.

The second demon which was classified as an Oni sprinted through the forest trees, getting closer to the Kikyo. He kept changing from left to right as he knew that it would make it harder for the miko to target him. Unfortunately for the oni, he underestimated the power of the miko.

Kikyo let go of her second arrow, watching intently as it made its way to the oni's heart. Kikyo shoulders relaxed as the oni was purified by her arrow. She turned around, only to be meet with the imposing figure of Lord Sesshomaru. Kikyo gritted her teeth, how had she not noticed his presence.

Besides what was the daiyōkai doing her? There was no mention that Kikyo had ever meet Sesshomaru while she was still alive. Then again, the current Kikyo was not exactly following the script.

"Are you here for the shikon no tama?" Kikyo blurted our. She wanted to smack herself for asking that to Sesshomaru. He didn't seem the type to want the shikon no tama. This honestly couldn't be a coincidence?

"At ease miko... it is a disgrace to rely on something else's power than your own," stated Sesshomaru with a rather cold look. Kikyo looked at Sesshomaru with a rather curious expression. "This is surprising..."

"May you explain what it surprising Yokai-san?" asked Kikyo. She didn't mention his name as she would have to come up with an explanation on why she knew it.

"Your compliance. I am use to... rather different miko's," explainers Sesshomaru. The white haired daiyokai looked towards the setting sky. "You should leave miko."

"Perhaps your right," agreed Kikyo as she watched the setting sky. She would have a hude disadvantage when fighting yokai at nighttime. It was unusual for Sesshomaru to warn her, he was supposed to hate humans. "It was a pleasure yokai-san."

"Sesshomaru," stated Sesshomaru. Kikyo's eyes widened slightly, she placed a small smile on her face. "I will allow you to call me that."

"Kikyo," said Kikyo as she gathered her things from the ground. "It is only fair. I look forward to crossing paths with you again, Sesshomaru-san."

Japanese terms

*Fudō Myō-ō, is the japanese god of protection

*Geta are a form of traditional Japanese footwear that resemble clogs and flip-flops.

*Shiso a plant of the mint family, native to eastern Asia,