6

Dealing with Tsubaki was justified in Kikyo's mind but she didn't know what would happen without the kuro miko around. Kikyo admitted that she shouldn't have taken as much pleasure with dealing with Tsubaki as she did. And the visit from Sesshomaru, it made Kikyo feel more at peace. She did wonder why Sesshomaru put up with her.

"Perhaps..." Kikyo shook her head in dismissal. Sesshomaru couldn't possibly be enjoying her company, she was a human after all. A human miko. "Perhaps his views have began to change."

"Onee-sama," said Kaede, bring Kikyo out of her inner thoughts about Sesshomaru's tolerance of her. "What do you think of my hotaru* shikigami?" Kaede pointed to the small fireflies on her fingers, Kikyo smiled at the small insects on Kaede's fingers.

"They're adorable," commented Kikyo. The two had travelled to a different village to take care of the onikuma yokai that had been attacking the village. It was also a bonus that travelling caused the two miko not to be sitting ducks. Kikyo wasn't so arrogant as to believe that she could fight off every single yokai with out coming unscathed or possibly dead.

More and more yokai and humans have been coming after the shikon no tama and Kikyo was worried for Kaede. Kikyo feared that her younger sibling would be used as leverage for the shikon no tama, and even though Kikyo wouldn't like to admit it, she would hand it over in a heartbeat. So she had stepped up Kaede's miko training, which helped Kaede improve immensely.

As much as Kikyo wanted to part from Kaede to ensure her safety, but she couldn't do it. Kikyo silently watched as Kaede rambled on about how she was allowed to help with the onikuma. The memories of Kikyo's past life had continue to disappear like ice that eventually melts under the sun. The future was ever changing and Kikyo can no longer predict the outcome.

'It is the way of the world,' thought Kikyo. Her death may be inexorable but that didn't mean that she wouldn't fight it every step of the way. 'Humans are such selfish creatures.'

The two miko were greeted by an agitated male villager, standing next to a small group of more villagers, who perked up at the presence of the miko's. Said male was the current head of the village and was anxious about the wellbeing of the village and the damage done to it by the oniyuma.

"Greeting, miko-sama. My name is Haruto and I am the head of this village. Miko-sama will you please help us get rid of the onikuma* that has plagued our village," pleaded Haruto. The other villagers nodded in agreement at his statement.

"Of course," replied Kikyo. "But first I need information about the onikuma."

"Certainly, anything to stop the yokai, miko-sama. Let me show you to my hut so that we can talk," said Haruto. He showed the two miko to his hut and gave all the details that he could muster up, about the onikuma. After giving the information to Kikyo and Kaede, Haruto took them to the forest, where the onikuma was located. Haruto left, leaving the miko's to exorcise the yokai.

"Imouto set up a barrier, I don't want the onikuma to escape," told Kikyo as she went to locate the onikuma, Kaede worked, using her miko reiatsu to create a barrier to trap the onikuma. Hearing a monstrous growl through the forest, Kikyo went to locate the cause of it, with Kaede following behind her. Making their way to the scene, Kikyo and Kaede came across the onikuma fighting against another yokai.

"Onee-sama, what should we do?" Whispered Kaede into Kikyo's ear, the other miko pulled her back and used a tree to hide their position.

"We watch and wait," said Kikyo, staring at the onikuma and the other yokai, who she recognised. 'Inuyasha,' she thought.

"Sankon Tesso!*" Shouted Inuyasha as he slashed his claws into the onikuma's head, cutting it straight off. Inuyasha stood over the onikuma's body, wiping the blood off his hand, he turned and faced the two miko. "Who the hell are you!?"

Kikyo walked forward and pushed Kaede behind her. "I was sent here to deal with the onikuma but since the onikuma is no longer a threat. My business here is done," explained Kikyo.

"I've heard of you! Your the miko of the shikon no tama! Give me the shikon no tama and I'll let you live!" Exclaimed Inuyasha, girving a cocky grin as he went for Kikyo. Said miko fired an arrow from her saigu-yumi at Inuyasha, hitting and pinning him to a tree. "Damn it!"

"Onee-sama, please used these," said Kaede, placing the beads of subjugation in Kikyo's hands.

"Good idea, imouto," told Kikyo, who chanted the beads prayer. The beads glowed, breaking apart from Kikyo's hands flying towards Inuyasha, then rearranged around his neck. "If you try and take the shikon no tama again I will use the command for the beads."

Sesshomaru had sensed Kikyo, her sibling and the disgrace to his family, Inuyasha. He loathed to say that they were related. If the half-breed even laid a finger on Kikyo...

Kikyo tilted her head to the side, sensing the incoming presence of Sesshomaru. 'What is he doing here?' she thought. Inuyasha pulled out the arrow from his arm, and tried again to get the shikon no tama. 'What an idiot.' "Sit boy," said Kikyo, watching as the command worked.

Sesshomaru watched with dark satisfaction at the state of Inuyasha. It was embarrassing for Inuyasha to been seen by his older brother in this state. "I demands to know why you are here half-breed," Sesshomaru demanded with annoyance lacing his voice. Inuyasha gritted his teeth at the appearance of his older sibling.

"That's none of you business Sesshomaru. If I want to be here, I will be here! I swear if you are after the shikon no tama, I won't hesitate to fight you for it!" Exclaimed Inuyasha, moving back to his feet.

"Like I would ever need the power of the shikon no tama," Sesshomaru coldly said. Kaede pulled Kikyo's sleve, wanting to leave the siblings to argue between themselves.

"They're acting like children," whispered Kaede.

Kikyo laughed at Kaede calling the Sesshomaru and Inuyasha children. "Lets go then," hummed Kikyo.

"Where do you think your going! We are not done!" Shouted Inuyasha while looking at Kikyo and Kaede.

"Why you are leaving?" Asked Sesshomaru.

"I am leaving you two to settle your differences," said Kikyo, turning to Kaede. "What would you like for dinner tonight? Soba noodles?" mused Kikyo, thinking what they could have for tonights dinner.

"Hey! Wait/I demand you to stop miko!" The two brothers shouted at the same time, both running to catch up to Kikyo and Kaede.

Japanese terms

Hotaru is a japanese term for firefly.

Onikuma is a bear yokai.

Sankon Tessō - Iron Reaver Soul Stealer a technique Inuyasha uses to fight.