We Don't Deal with Outsiders Very Well

Jughead just got beat up, Archie is a teen vigilante, and there's still a murderer in town. But somehow, that's not even the worst part of Amy's day.

Chapter title is from Heathens by 21 Pilots (and honestly one of the most Serpent songs ever)

WARNING: lots of underage drinking, guns and fighting (from canon), mentions of (canon) underage stripping, and mentions of real world serial killers

(Cast Not Your Stone At The) Wayward Daughter

It Sounds Better Than It Is (This Business of Surviving)

Amy woke early the next morning, more content than she had been since the beginning of summer. The four Serpents had slept over at the Jones' trailer the night before, and, curled up with Toni in their old cot, Amy started to feel hopeful that things would get better. She saw Sweet Pea and Fangs sleeping, sprawled out on the mattress that they had brought in from the Jeep, and, turning, saw Jughead starting a pot of coffee in the small kitchenette.

"Amy, coffee?" Jughead asked.

"Only if I get FP's Serpent mug."

Jughead nodded easily, pouring coffee into the requested mug; a gift that Amy had given FP the day after her initiation. She had painted it herself, and it certainly wasn't a masterpiece, but she was proud of it nonetheless.

Amy took the mug, taking a long sip, and watching her friends sleep. If someone had told her, even yesterday, that she would feel so safe and content with Jughead Jones, of all people, she might have stabbed them, but she couldn't deny it. Her partners sound asleep, Jughead now sitting on the kitchen counter, and a warm mug in her hands? Tucked away from the world in the one place that she'd always considered a home? This was the safest she'd felt since before Mustang had sent her to the Sisters of Quiet Mercy.

A sudden knock on the door broke her out of her thoughts, and out of her cocoon of safety.

"Jughead, are you there?"

"Shit, it's Betty," Jughead told her.

"Does she have a key?"

"No, but she won't leave before I answer."

"Oh, okay, that's easy. Go to the bathroom, hop in the shower. I'll wake these guys up and we'll hide anything that would suggest that we were here overnight. I can handle the rest, Jones, I swear."

"Really?" he asked, suspicious.

"Really," she agreed.

"Fine." With that, Jughead made his way to the bathroom, and Amy set about waking the others.

"Doll? What's up?" Sweet Pea asked, rubbing a hand over his eyes.

"Princess Cooper is outside of the door. You guys need to hide the cot and the mattress, then get changed. I'm going to get dressed now and try to stall Cooper."

They nodded immediately, as she knew they would, and got to work. Toni deflated the mattress, while Fangs and Sweet Pea folded up the cot, tucking it into the back of the closet. Amy went into the bedroom, digging through FP's dresser- he'd always let them keep a drawer to themselves, for nights when they'd had nowhere else to go. She slipped back into the skirt that Veronica had given her, and pulled a tight black tank top out of the drawer, shoving her pyjamas away and tossing on her jacket. Much to her relief, the other three had finished their cleanup, and were just heading into the bedroom to grab their own clothes.