My Heart Is A Weapon Of War

So Jughead didn't sleep with Betty, thank god. But between preparing for war, Archie going off the rails, and a dead body, Amy doesn't even have time to celebrate. She does, however, have the time to throw a dozen wrenches into Hiram Lodge's schemes.

Chapter title is from Fight Like A Girl by Emilie Autumn

WARNINGS: Honestly this chapter was pretty tame! Just Amy's usual crassness and Hiram Lodge being a creep.

(Cast Not Your Stone At The) Wayward Daughter

My Heart Is A Weapon Of War

Waking up was an interesting experience, even by Amy's standards. Between Toni and Sweet Pea seething about Tall Boy, Fangs being shaken up by Penny, Jughead dwelling on Betty, and Amy trying to figure out how to outwit Hiram Lodge, it really didn't feel like they'd actually slept at all—and to be fair, they barely had.

"Come on, assholes," Amy said finally, seeing the time, "gotta get ready for school."

Jughead groaned, stretching his arms as much as he could with Toni and Amy on either side of him.

"Do we have to?" he asked through a yawn.

"Tragically, yes," Amy told him, crawling over Sweet Pea to get out of bed. "I've got schemes to plan, and you have a girlfriend to either break up with or apologize to."

"You're right," Jughead nodded decisively. "I've got to make things right with Betty."

Amy tried to ignore the way her heart clenched at his words and plastered on her usual fake smile.

"And I've got a criminal mastermind to destroy," she said, instead of the number of things she wanted to say. "Up and at em."

Fangs grumbled but her partners all complied, and soon the five of them were on their bikes and heading to school.

Amy perched herself on Sweet Pea's lap, carefully ignoring Jughead talking to the Northsiders. Of course, despite her best efforts she couldn't actually tune them out, and she rolled her eyes as Veronica tried to organize a 'negotiation'.

"Jug," she said abruptly, standing up and grabbing her bag. "I've gotta dash but text me the time and I'll be there."

"Um," Veronica said, "this is between the Lodges and the Jones'."

Amy scoffed loudly, quirking an eyebrow. She took a moment to enjoy the way Veronica wilted under her stare before she spoke. "No," she drawled, "this is between Hiram Lodge and the Serpents. And quite frankly, your dad is an idiot and I don't actually care what he thinks. Jughead," she repeated, smiling softly when he looked up at her. "Text me the time and I'll be there."

He nodded, letting her press her hand to his cheek before leaving the lounge, Sweet Pea falling into his usual place at her side.

As soon as Amy was out of earshot, Betty looked over at Jughead. "Is... is she why you stopped things last night?" she whispered.

"No, Betts. God, I just felt like you were trying to prove something- to me, to yourself, I don't know- and if or when we do anything, I want it to be because you want to do it not because you feel like you have to."

Meanwhile, as Betty processed his explanation, Amy dug out her phone and called Fred.

"Sweetheart?" he greeted, picking up on the first ring. "What's wrong?"