Chapter 5: First Day

I heard someone opened the door and saw dad standing at the door frame. "Wake up, sleepy head. You can't be late for your first day. Good morning by the way." Dad went downstairs with a cup of warm and aromatic coffee.

Taking bath, wearing school robes, tiding hair into messy bun and it is all done in few minutes. Joining dad at his small kitchen in his quarters and saw pancakes on the table. Jeez, pancakes smell delicious! "Go back to common room after breakfast and grab your books," He sipped his coffee while reading daily prophet as he always do every morning. "Also take a small bite at The Great Hall if you still hungry," he added. I nodded, enjoying my pancakes.

"Before you go, Mavis. I have something to remind you. When in my class, do adress me as sir or professor, okay? Only outside of my class, you can call me dad again." He said before I shut the door and went off to Slytherin common room.

I went into the common room and saw Draco sat on the couch. "Morning, Mavis!" His goons, Crabbe and Goyle, greeted me. Draco turned and smiled, "Good morning, Mavy." "Good morning too, boys." I greeted them back. I look down on my schedule, I got transfiguration class first with Gryffindor. "Go and have breakfast, boys" I said to them.

We walked through the dungeons and headed to The Great Hall. Goyle and Crabbe sneered which made Draco and I turned to them. They pointed at a Gryffindor boy and his friend at the Gryffindor table. We walked passed the Gryffindor. I took a seat next to Draco while his goons sat across us. Draco handed the toast to me while he took his. "I'm full already. I've breakfast with dad earlier before," He nodded and take the toast to his plate. We talked for a while and laughed on some jokes that his goons had made.

I read my book as I felt Draco nudged me, "Mavy? Hufflepuff boy is staring at you." I looked up from my book and saw a Hufflepuff boy staring at me. He blushed and avoided the eye contact. Draco huffed, "Why is he keep staring at you?" I giggled at him, "Oh Draco, are you jealous?" "What? No!" He crossed his arms. I pinched his cheeked and he seems to be surprised. "You're the cutest, Malfoy." I said as I looked at him through his grey eyes. "None of the Malfoys are cute!" He huffed and blushed a bit. "Hey, we should get in class now." He changed the topic as he rise from his seat. We left The Great Hall and headed to class.

I sat next to Draco while Goyle and Crabbe sat at the back as the other filled up the seats. We all begins to writing as Professor McGonagall transfigured herself into a cat on her desk. We had been writing for a half way as the door swung open and I turned to see Harry and Ron burst in.

"Made it! Could you imagine the look on old McGonagall's face if she knew we were late? Ron asked Harry. There was empty desk in front of ours seat. I saw Granger shaking her head and continued to writing.

Then, Professor McGonagall jumped off her desk and back in her usual form. "That was bloody brilliant," Ron beamed as Draco snickered to them. Those two were surprised as looked at Professor McGonagall who looked at them sternly. "Thank you for your assessment, Mr. Weasley. It'd better if I transfigured Mr. Potter and you into a watch," she said to them with her tilted aside. "Then one of you might be on time," she continued. "We've got lost, professor." Harry said as he looked down to the floor. "Then perhaps a map? I trust you don't need one to find your seats." She said and turned back to her desk.

Harry looked at me and blushed as bumped into Ron. All of his books were on the floor. He clumsily picked his books that he dropped off from his arms. "Staring at a girl for a long time isn't a good manner, Potter." Draco hissed. Harry looked very pissed off with Draco. They never being in good terms, what could I say, they were hating each other. Arch rivals, they are.

McGonagall dismissed the class and went to dungeons for potion class with Dad along with Gryffindor once again. We walked down the halls before entering the classroom.

The walls were lined up with shelves of jars ingredients and some of dusted things. As usual, Draco take a seat next to me meanwhile Crabbe and Goyle sat at the back. Harry, Ron and Hermione sat on my right. Draco was talking to me about potions when suddenly the door swung open and dad walked in. His black cloak swift the floor as he turned facing us dramatically. "There will be no foolish wand waving or silly incantation in this class." He spats standing by his desk in front of our seats.

"As such I do not expect many of you to appreciate the subtle science and exact art that is potion-making. However, for those select few..." His eyes shots to me and Draco. "Who possess the predisposition," He continued then paused a while as he pulled his cloak and crossed his arms to his chest. He spoke up once again, "I can teach you how to bewitch the mind and ensnare the senses. I can tell you how to bottle fame, brew glory and even put a stopper in death." Draco curled his lips as I only gave him a smile.

Dad's gaze fell on Harry who seems to be busy copying on what he saying in the class. "Then again, maybe some of you have come to Hogwarts with abilities so formidable that you feel confident enough... TO NOT PAY ATTENTION!" he spats to Harry. Hermione noticed Harry's busy copying some notes then she nudged him. Dad let go his cloak and walked forwards to Harry's seat, "Mr. Potter, our new celebrity. Tell me what would I get if I added root of asphodel to an infusion of wormwood?"

Harry stayed silent while Hermione puts her hand high in the air to answer dad's question. Harry shook his head for not knowing the answer. Easy question but failed to answer. "You don't know? Let's try again." He said, "Well... Where would you look if I asked you to a bezoar?"

Again Hermione raised her hand to answer it but dad ignored her as he focused on Harry. Harry shook his head again, "I don't know, sir." Ron looked at Harry with sympathetic look. I'm going to like this class even dad looked so mean to Harry. "What is the difference between monkshood and wolfsbane?" He asked Harry again. Hermione still raised her hand but still dad ignored her. Harry turned to Hermione then shook his head again, "I don't know, sir."

"Pity." Dad said, "Clearly, fame isn't everything is it, Mr. Potter?" Draco turned to Harry's seat, smirking. "And put your hands down, Ms. Granger. Simple questions but can't answer any of it." Dad spats. "But sir, Hermione knows the answers." Harry said. Dad turned to facing Harry again and slammed his hands on the table, "Ten points from Gryffindor." "Ms. Snape, answer all of my question." Dad said to me.

"For the first question is a sleeping potion which also known as Draught of Living Death. The second question is bezoar is a stone, taken from stomach of goat and it can save you from the most fatal potions, I do believe sir?" I said. "Yes, it is correct. The third answer, Mavis?" "They are same plants, sir." I said as I looked at Draco who gave me a 'not bad' look.

"Very good, Mavis. Ten points to Slytherin," He smiling at me as he wrote some notes on the parchment. I smiled back to him as he stood back to his previous spot, "Why don't you copy Mavis's answers in your book?" I looked a Harry but he looked back at me with his weak smile. We copied the answer in our book then hand in the book to dad.

Dad dismissed the class as the rest of us started to packed our stuff into our bag. "You're amazing, Mavy!" Draco said as he patted my shoulder. I couldn't help but smirking. Dad stood next to his desk, "Mavy, can you stay for a while? I have something to say to you." I nodded, "Of course, dad."

"Draco, you may go first. I'll catch up with you later."

"Alright, see you at lunch then." Draco waved his hand and went out from the class. I put my bag on the desk where I sat before, "So, what is it dad?" I could see that he's smiling. I guess he's really proud of me after answering his questions correctly. I went to The Great Hall to catch up with Draco.

"Mavy, over here!" He shouted waving his hand in the air. I rushed over the crowd of students and sat next to Draco. He smiling like a silly kid, "What did he talked to you?" "Nah, he just said that he proud of me for answering his questions correctly." I said. Goyle and Crabbe came and sat across us, eating like a pig that haven't eating for years. Draco and I rolled our eyes, "Dorks."

"Mails," I looked up and saw owls flew above us with stuffs tied on their feet. Snowy flew over and brought a pile of new potion books from dad. Draco got sweets from his mother and shared some of it to me. Dad walked past our table, "Don't eat too much of sweets." "Oh, come on! Just this time," I whined. "Fine." He said defeatly as I cheered up.

Later, I heard Seamus tried to turn his drink into rum few times untill he exploded his goblet. The rest of Gryffindor shook their head while we Slytherin laughing so hard as we all looked at Seamus' face with his hair were spiked up. "Bloody moron," Draco sneered.