27: Lovebug

CHAPTER 27: BEDBUG

A L

"Do we have to stay the night?" I asked Caleb while we were waiting for the staff to serve our dinner.

It was the longest day of my entire life. We did almost everything there from crossing a narrow bridge above a flowing river hundreds feet down to bungee jumping and I should feel tired from everything but I still feel so alive and now we were sitting opposite and facing each other like a freaking couple having dinner and I fought myself from cringing.

"Not if you don't want to ride the hot air balloon." He said and my eyes lit up suddenly from hearing what he said.

"Hot air balloon, you mean those colorful balloons that floats in air and you're inside a basket?" I excitedly asked and I sounded like a kid. Of course, I know what a hot air balloon was. I was just trying to confirm if it was what he was talking about. I haven't rode that baby before.

Caleb chuckled as he nodded his head. "You—"

I frowned when he stopped what he was about to stay. I was sure he would say that I sounded like a kid.

"You what?" I asked.

"Nothing." He smiled and I saw a staff wheeling our orders towards our table.

I watched the foods that Caleb ordered as it were served on the table one by one and I could feel my mouth watering. I was so hungry the moment we stepped inside that place since I could smell the foods, I thought I could eat the table from how hungry I was.

I tried to eat slowly because I didn't want Caleb to see how I wanted to shove everything inside my mouth because aside from how hungry I was, the food there tasted great.

I was so full after eating that I didn't want to move from the chair I was sitting. I jumped in surprise and I thought my soul left my body when I saw someone suddenly popped up from my side.

"Mother fucker." I squeaked.

It was the smoothie guy.

"I'm sorry if I startled you." He said and I smiled.

"It's fine." I said and I glanced at Caleb who was looking at Smoothie. "Do you need something?" I asked and he glanced at Caleb before he looked back at me.

"Can I talk to you for a second?" He said.

"What do you need from my boyfriend?" Caleb suddenly said making me turn my head to him. What!?

"You said you don't have a boyfriend?" Smoothie asked and I looked back to him.

I didn't know what to say. All I know was that I didn't want to talk to him or get involved with him so I just made up a story.

"We were fighting this morning that's why I said that." I said and Smoothie looked at me then to Caleb.

"I'm sorry. I thought you're not together." He said and I just nodded. I watched him walked away for a few seconds before I glanced at Caleb who was grinning like crazy.

"So, we were fighting this morning." He said making my cheeks heat up.

"Shut up." I said and he chuckled.

"Weren't we?"

"Just—" I stopped when Caleb grabbed my hand and feeling our skin touching made my heartbeat went fast maybe because I was surprised.

I was about to raise my voice at him and pull my hand back when I saw his eyes looking behind me.

"He's looking." He said making me stop struggling and I wanted to check if he was really looking but I didn't want to look so obvious so I just looked at Caleb and wait for him to say that Smoothie was done ogling.

I watched our hands as he lift our palms up and he slipped his fingers in between the spaces of my fingers and laced our hands like what cheesy couples do.

"Is he still looking?" I impatiently asked because my hand was starting to sweat and I didn't like the feeling when his hand was on mine.

"Yes. Just act happily." He said and I frowned.

"He can't even see me."

"The way your shoulders slumped look like you are not enjoying your boyfriend's company." He said and he smiled at me.

I gave him a forced sarcastic smile and sat straight.

"How about you lean your body closer." He said and I wanted to pull my hands from his. "He's checking us again."

I planted my elbow on the table, leaning my body a little. Caleb looked at me for a few seconds and then let go of my hand.

"He's gone." He said and sat straight on his chair.

I couldn't say that I felt relieve when Caleb said that Smoothie was gone but I didn't want to recognize that feeling.

I pulled my hand and sat back straight and looked at the empty dishes on the table. I took a last sip of the lemon grass juice. I could still feel the weight and the warmth of Caleb's hand on my hand.

**

We went back to our room after dinner and Caleb went inside the bathroom immediately as I sat on the huge bed and glanced at the bathroom door. Caleb was acting a little off after that scene in the restaurant and I wasn't use to him acting different from his usual self.

I was checking Instagram as I laid down on the bed and watch some posts of the people I followed until I heard the bathroom door opened making me sat up.

"You can take the bed. I'll take the couch." He said while he wiped his wet hair. He was wearing a gray tank top and boxer shorts.

I didn't want to sleep on the bed while the one who paid was sleeping on the couch.

"It's huge. We can sleep here together." I said and Caleb raised a brow.

"Are you sure?" He asked.

"Only if you won't crawl at me in the middle of the night." I said and he chuckled. I thought his mood wouldn't turn back but I was glad to hear him chuckle.

"I'm not a bedbug but a lovebug."

I rolled my eyes as I stood up and walked to the bathroom to brush my teeth.

**

My body was tired, my eyes were threatening to fall any second but my mind wasn't and I wanted to cry from frustration. I just want to sleep but my mind wasn't cooperating with my tired body.

I turned around and glanced at Caleb whose back was facing me. He looked like he was already asleep. I poked his leg with my leg under the covers and waited for him to say something.

"You awake?" I asked and Caleb turned around, facing me and I chuckled when I saw his sleepy face.

"Why are you still awake?" He asked.

"Because I'm not in my room." I said. "You?"

He smiled. "Because you're beside me."

I kicked him making him hissed and chuckled. "Pervert."

"I was just joking." He said and we were looking at each other. "How many siblings do you have?"

"Four." I answered. "Two in collage and another one in middle school."

Caleb nodded. "You?" I asked.

"Two."

I suddenly felt comfortable laying on the same bed with him, asking and talking about random stuffs. I got to know him better and Caleb wasn't that bad at all.

******