Chapter 16

''She's out hunting,'' Lexa said, reading off of Clarke's note. Turning back to the yawning Natblida, who had only been screaming the night before, she awaited a response.

Madi did not disappoint. Her eyes flew up to meet Lexa's, her yawning all but forgotten. Scrambling towards Lexa, she read off the note over her shoulder. Almost too eagerly.

''Can I join her? Pleaase?'' Madi pleaded, eyes shining as she gazed at the note like it was some holy text, as if she wanted to shrug off the effects of last night.

''We'll go together.'' Lexa conceded, and in one heft, moved herself from bed to wheelchair. But then, her eyes landed on the weapons left on the nightstand the night eariler. ''But first...''

...

''Try it, Clarke. You'll be surprised how far you can go.''

''Lexa, stop!'' But Clarke was laughing as well, as Lexa drew the bow with her teeth. ''There's no time for this—''

''We have plenty of time, Clarke kom Skaikru. More time than we can waste.'' Lexa smiled, or as much as she could with the arrow and the string in her mouth, much to Madi's surprise and delight (because how often would someone be able to witness the Commander grin?).

''You're next, Madi,'' Lexa said after the arrow was released, to Clarke's stunned scowl and disbelief as it hit the trunk of the tree. Madi was laughing, as she went to retrieve the trick shot arrow, and then—

Madi couldn't believe what she was seeing. She felt white with shock. Madi felt like she was feeling what she would feel if she'd seen a ghost, but the ghost was more reality than paranormal. And when she tried to fight off the ghost, to push the white blank silhouette from her mind, she felt the memories slam into her like a hundred tonne bricks.

Forests. So many trees, same forests. Beating on the ground, blood thrumming in ears...

Oh no. Oh nonononono. Why did I come here again?!

''Madi!'' she heard someone yell, but their voice was distant, like it was under a haze. She couldn't see; couldn't hear; couldn't do anything but reach out and feel, because all she saw was a blanket of white.

Madi swayed, and stumbled, flailing—and Clarke's horror could not even surface before the Nightblood collapsed into a heap.

...

''What happened—''

''—traumatic stress—''

''... can't help her—''

''needs to... talk...''

''...stop!''

Madi woke in a haze.

''Madi. I'm so glad you're okay.'' Clarke. Gushing, comfort. Tears in her eyes.

''Do you feel better now, goufa?'' Lexa. Silent. Solemn. But concerned.

Madi blinked out the haze from her eyes. The figures were getting clearer now. Lexa in her wheelchair and Clarke, standing by her bed. Looking over her with concern. Madi felt the sheets under her hands. Wait. Weren't they out hunting just a moment ago?

Madi tried to get up. Grasping at her bedsheets. ''Wha—what happened?'' she asked, and pushed herself against the backboard of her bed. And when Lexa and Clarke exchanged looks—

''W—what happened to the hunt?''

''Later, Madi,'' Lexa said swiftly, and Clarke nodded along to her words. Madi blinked again, because how did she end up here again?

''I-I'm okay,'' Madi fumbled through the words, and her brow furrowed: because she was okay, wasn't she? And then, firmer: ''I'm okay,'' she stated, even if she didn't believe it herself.