Chapter 71

''What is this... rock?'' Luna asked quizzically, as Madi looked at her hopefully.

It was curious, to see Madi bring anything from the forests home. Usually, it was some unusual contraption or a spare part or two, all of which Luna acted to be impressed by, when really she was just confused (and slightly trepidatious about). But a rock?

Luna had no idea that Madi had a rock collection.

''Why... did you bring this home?'' she finally said out, as she dazedly looked upon the fairly-eager Madi.

''It looks cool!'' Madi beamed as she gazed up to Luna in excitement. ''Don't ya think so?''

Slowly, Luna nodded, once, as she gazed at the sheen black rock. It looked like a form of obsidian, and though they weren't entirely uncommon, Luna had yet to stumble upon one of them after Praimfaya. So aloud, to indulge Madi, she said: ''I... suppose so. Yes, it is, 'cool'.''

If anything, Madi seemed to beam even more at that. ''An—and look closer!'' she yelped out. ''Y-you can see mist inside of it!''

And at that, Luna squinted at the rock that Madi so eagerly held out. Madi was right—it did seem as if mist were trapped in the black rock, and its insides did seem to shift, but it must've been because of the lighting, or the iridescent sheen that had caused such a trick of the light.

Madi had seemed incredibly proud of her rock, grinning at Luna expectantly. ''Do you like it?''

Luna paused, for a moment. Gazed at Madi's hopeful expression, and doubtfully, said: ''I suppose I... do?''

Thankfully, Madi did not hear the doubt in her voice, for if she could brighten with more glee, she did. And at her disproportional amount of happiness, Luna added: ''Where do you plan to... place it?''

Madi's brow furrowed. ''Hmm,'' she contemplated, as her gaze swept around the abode. And when she was done and her eyes rested on Luna's, she eagerly said: ''I was thinking about putting it in my room.''

''But it does look nice, does it not?'' Luna said, her eyes twinkling, her voice filled with good-natured mirth. ''Especially when you can see the mist inside when struck with light. Would you not want to place it outside, on full-display?''

Madi seemed to contemplate this for a moment, before nodding vigorously. And this Luna smiled and nodded towards the windows. They were not exactly special windows—but there was nothing decorating its tiny lined balconies, and it would be nice to spice it up with some rocks. It would be a perfect place to start and keep a rock collection at.

''Okay!'' Madi said happily, and all but practically ran over to the windows, placing her rock carefully on the tiny balconies underneath the windows. She beamed at her in joy—

And for once, after the bunker and its discussions and all else, Luna smiled.

...

I dunno why, but Luna refused to give the rock to Clarke and Lexa.

She did say it was nice, so I don't know why she suddenly doesn't want it. And she looked at me like I was going crazy when I told her that she should give the rock to Clarke and Lexa to sort out their problems, and I waited for fifteen minutes but she still didn't take it, so I guess I have it back now.

But if she doesn't want it, at least I have it!

...

''Madi, stop playing with the rock,'' Clarke said offhandedly, her gaze reverting away from Madi, as she helped clean the wheelchair's wheels the floor, cross-legged.

Madi pouted. ''But why?'' she asked indignantly, eyes hopping from Clarke, to Lexa, to Luna, who had all seemed engrossed in their own things to notice her.