Chapter 42

They drove along the dead forests of Trikru into what was near the territory of Floukru.

Clarke hadn't said anything about Polis during the truck ride, not after they went there. But she seemed like she accepted it—or at least, understood that it was an inevitable, and that they had waited long enough, or as long as they could've. And whatever regret or sorrow Lexa had over it had disippitated once she saw Madi's eager grin and her excitement at coming back to Polis the very next week ''to help out''.

Even Clarke couldn't help but smile at that.

There would be no more stops left. After they drove through Floukru, they would enter the Dead Zone, where they would travel for what was at least a few more days until they would make it to Becca's Lab. All of them were silently preparing themselves for the desert, even though none had voiced it.

And then, out of the blue, Clarke Griffin had begun to hum.

It was a merry tune, something of a whistle as she drove on through the forests. Lexa wondered if she was hearing right. It felt starkly out of place in contrast to the dead life around them, and Lexa nearly had to stifle a disbelieved chuckle.

Was this revenge for bringing Madi to Polis, or...?

After a few minutes of the afornmented humming, Madi had joined in the tune, and it was all Lexa could do to not smile. Instead, she glared at the duo, because who would hum a tune along the wasteland of the dead? But all that happened was Madi grinned at her mischievously as she whistled as she shook Lexa's arm, as if telling her to join in as well. And when Lexa's disbelief wore off and her eyes reverted to Clarke's, Clarke had momentarily paused in her humming (the tune carried by Madi), and returned her with a cheeky ''what?'' and deliberately hummed at a louder volume than before.

Lexa regretted the glaring. And so her gaze bore into the windows in front of her, as she watched the truck swallow the roads as the ashen trees went by. After what had felt like an eternity, the tune was dropped by one participant, with the second closely following by, as it faltered to a stop.

A period of silence crossed. It was blissful, beautiful silence. She savoured the feeling of tranquility, of needing not of irritated eardrums and wars. And then she heard Clarke whistle a few notes, and her entire world plummeted. Forcing the smile that was threatening to surface down her throat—

''Oh Spirits, Clarke, stop humming!''

The only response was a laugh, as the notes became a louder song.

...

They had decided to set camp in Floukru's territory, before they entered the lands of the Dead Zone. After all, the only lands that were moderately close to the desert was the Boat People's, and from there on they could enter into the lands of the Dead Zone, saving much of their time from sandstorms or the endless, excruciating heat without shade or water for miles abound.

Even though the lands that Praimfaya razed were practically one in the same, there was a stark difference between somewhere that had become a desert, and somewhere that was already a desert in itself and needed not Praimfaya's aid to turn it into what it was. There was a reason why her people had called it a Dead Zone.

Madi had came up to her, after a stroll through the forests in a search for possible firewood and resources. Her eyes were haunted; as if she'd seen a ghost, but it was not like the time when Madi had collapsed because of her memories. It was something else, for though Madi looked haunted, something else razed her expression as well. Fear, and—hope?

''There's tracks,'' Madi mumbled, visibly disturbed as she stumbled towards Lexa. Lexa's eyes had widened, and her hands had rested on the wheels.

''Show me.''