Chapter 52

Madi couldn't believe it.

Her sister was alive.

Alive.

ALIVE!

Up to now, everything felt like a dream. She felt like she was in a dream, and she almost wanted to pinch herself, despite how utterly stupid that would've been. But it was only in her dreams that her sister was alive, and now that her sister WAS alive, it just felt so, so surreal. Which was why Madi was worried she was going to be floating the very next minute, because what if this was only a really, really good dream that she was having, and she was gonna wake up disappointed?

But she wasn't floating so far, so that was a pretty good sign, right?

''So,'' Madi said, as nonchalantly as she could (and probably utterly failing), as she shovelled food into her mouth, focusing on the figure in question that sat contently beside her, who gazed at the fire that crackled in front of them.

Spirits, she still couldn't believe it.

''Why'd you come here? How'd you find us? How'd you survive?'' Madi listed off the questions in a flurry, emphasizing the word survive as her eyes studied Luna's. ''What happened? How'd you get outta Polis? Where were you for so long?''

''Madi...'' Clarke began, looking around slightly helplessly, as her gaze finally landed on a somewhat bemused Luna. 'Maybe try not to overwhelm Luna with questions, yeah? After all...' Her gaze switched from a disappointed Madi's to a curious Luna's expression. ''She hasn't got much time to settle in yet, and I'm sure she'll answer all your questions in due time.''

''Thank... you, Clarke kom Skaikru, but no.'' An amused smile, barely visible and yet it was there, shone on Luna's usually carefully-guarded features. ''This is my sister that I have lost for five years. Settlement is a minor issue compared to that.''

Madi's heart soared. Eyes glimmering, she looked up at Luna in happiness. And when Luna didn't respond but squeezed Madi's sweaty palm that told her she knew, she saw, she understood, Madi felt like she was in the clouds. And the questions tumbled from her mouth. ''How'd you survive?'' she asked, her mouth almost in an incredulous gape, but that was overshone by knowing that she was alive and that was all that mattered now.

Of course, if Madi thought hard enough, if she focused hard enough, she'd know, or at least some bits of how Luna did it. But that depended on the time when she arrived. And then, Madi frowned. When did Luna arrive? If it was recent, then... that might've been okay, but if it was a year ago? Maybe more? And what if Luna was there when Emerson was alive? That would mean...

Madi felt troubled, but the feeling had passed quickly. Because she didn't want to think about that now, didn't even want to care about it, because all that mattered was now and all that mattered was that she was alive and right here right now.

Luna chuckled, and a small smile passed her lips, but it was in neither happiness nor pride. She took a breath, squeezed Madi's hand tightly again (as if she didn't want to ever let go, and if she did then she would be gone), and it was sadness that lingered in her smile. ''Are you sure you would like to hear it? It is not a good tale.''

Madi's features seemed slightly hesitant for a moment before she gave a nod. Clarke glared slightly at Madi—as if she wanted her to choose the opposite. Lexa gazed at Luna, an unreadable expression on her face.

But Luna noticed neither. Or at least if she did, she didn't show it.

''That is a long story, Madi,'' she said wistfully, and Madi grasped Luna's hand tighter as if she didn't want to lose her to the past, to memories that were only a downward spiral. ''But we have time.''