Chapter 24

Dom shouldn't have been surprised to be called back up to Miko's office, but the question of wondering why lingered within him. Maybe Zeke had sold him out. He wouldn't blame him if he had, but he'd definitely offer to throw another punch into the man's face. It wasn't a matter of payback. It was a matter of principle. You don't break a brother down for a deep, dark secret then share it with someone else. He'd put him back into his place.

He raised his fist to throw a few pounds onto the office door while he waited to be invited in. He was instead greeted by Liv opening up the door and letting him in. He was surprised to see her in Miko's office. Especially to be greeted with a glare and sudden coolness.

"Liv." He said simply and walked passed her. He had his game back and a wall that had extended up over his heart as a shield against any form of feeling. The night's sleep had been enough to pull his impenetrable defensives back up.

Liv shut the door with an unexpected force behind him. He turned around to look at her. "Decided it was too dangerous to be with her too?" A half smile formed across his lips. He tried to keep his comment lazy.

Liv's jaw hardened. Her fingers balled up into fists, as the anger in her eyes drilled holes through Dom. She kept her anger in check. "You fucked up." She condemned him. It was more than obvious.

"I did what was best for her. If you had any sense at all, you'd see that." He watched her flinch at his words. A part of him felt bad. Even though the words were bullshit, he still meant them as he said them.

"What'd you just say?" Her voice was unmistakably frigid and held a challenge that dared him to repeat his words. She could have froze someone with her glare. There was no doubt that his words had hit a nerve. Not that he really cared.

"Settle down you two." Miko interjected. He was watching them from his desk, like he was sitting on a throne and watching a dispute like a king. He didn't look particularly like he was in a very good mood.

Dom guessed that Liv had said something to him that had him irritated. She had that effect on people more often than not.

"Have a seat Dom."

"I'm good." He said as if he had a choice. The second his eyes met his leader's, he realized there hadn't been any choice with the comment. He bit back a sigh and sat down in the chair. He could feel Liv's gaze on him.

She folded her arms and observed the two men from the door. Her eyes were specifically on Dom as she did everything she could to not bite off his head.

"So, it's my understanding that you have no intention of going back to your girl." Miko said as a comment, but he was waiting for verification.

"It's for her safety. It's better that way." He said flatly, as if he had rehearsed the lines over and over again to make himself believe them.

"Like hell it is!" Liv snapped. A scowl freed itself easily from her lips.

"Liv..." Miko warned her. He watched her carefully.

Liv ignored the warning. It was her turn to rip into Dom. He deserved every bit of a tongue lashing from her and more. "You fucking broke her heart. No, you can't break what's already been broken so many times before. You shattered it. And you didn't even fucking blink when you made a decision that wasn't all yours to make."

Dom jumped up from his chair to face her. "Who's decision was it to make, Liv? Tell me that, before you throw your knives at me." His brows were knitted together in anger. He wanted to believe that it was a justified, righteous anger, but he knew better than to lie to himself like that. She was threatening his wall that he had just framed and built. He couldn't allow it to break down again.