Chapter 1

A/N: Unless noted otherwise, the story is from Sophia's POV.  Thanks and enjoy!! 

..........

This was the moment, what I had been preparing for weeks for. This was my chance to shine, to show everyone what I was capable of. Tonight was the final recital of my high school career. Only a selected few were given the opportunity to perform a solo and I was honored to give the only cello solo of the evening. This was also a special performance for the senior class, me included. Scouts from top universities were rumored to be attending the show. A scholarship to a school out of state would be amazing. Life changing for me.

The house lights went down and without hesitation I walked around the curtain and took my position on the stage, taking bow in hand. The lights on the perimeter of the stage flooded my vision, but I was still able to make out a few of those in the front row. Carter, Megan and even my ex-stepfather Richard.

But still no mom.

I let out the breath that I hadn't realized I was holding and the tightness in my chest went away.

Now wasn't the time to let her upset me. She wasn't going to show, I had known that deep down. She never comes, why would tonight be any different? I let out another breath, and then another. I looked up into the crowd, putting my shoulders back. Now was the time to play.

The audience gave a brief applause as I sat down and came into position. As soon as my bow was between my fingers and my cello was resting on my shoulder, I could feel the rush of being the center of everyone's attention. The disappointment of being ignored yet again by my mother was pushed aside as I focused on my first solo. I began with the classic Cello Suite No. 1 by Bach, soon followed by the Cello Sonata No. 1 by Brahms. My heart felt light as I played sweet tunes for the audience, but it also fell with the dark notes in my other piece. I had, as I usually do, lost myself in the music, forgetting what was at stake as I played for universities and scouts. As soon as I finished the last piece, the rush of the applause made my heart beat with vigor and I took a bow, unable to restrain the grin that spread across my face.

I did it, just like I knew I could.

And more importantly, I did it without her.

.............

After the recital ended, the theatre was abandoned for all of the food and drink in the gymnasium. The whole room was packed, students and parents crowding over each other to congratulate and I couldn't help but feel a little left out. Now that I was off the stage and directly in front of everyone, my adrenaline rush had ended and my confidence left with it. I couldn't find Megan and I knew Richard had to leave as soon as the recital was over, so I awkwardly stood by the punch table, contemplating if I was going to stay very long.

"Sophia!" I turned from the drink table and practically squealed. Megan and Carter were each holding a small bouquet of daisies, saving me from being a weirdo and drinking punch by myself in the corner.

"You guys!" I threw my arms around them. "Thank you so much! I'm so glad you came."

"Of course we would come. We knew how important it was for you." Megan handed me the flowers elbowing Carter to do the same."We couldn't believe we were watching a high school performance. Everyone was amazing."

"Especially you, Sophia. You were the best of the night." Carter said, giving me a cheeky grin.

My face immediately flushed. "Guys, someone could hear you."

"Good, let them know who is going to get that scholarship to Juilliard University. Someone's gotta tell them eventually, might as well be tonight."