Chapter 24

Adrian's POV: 

Sophia seemed to crack in his hands. The walls she put up, he could feel them crumble as she clung to him. Any doubts that he had about the wedding were gone as he held her. 

She was his. Finally, she was his. 

He pulled away from her. They said nothing, just looked at each other. Her eyes were sultry, her lips pink from their kiss. He gingerly touched her mouth with his thumb, and her lips opened. He could feel his eyes burn as they turned their infamous red color. It took everything in him not to kiss her again in that moment. 

If he did, he wasn't sure he could stop this time. 

He clenched his jaw, swallowing his lust. "I think that is as far as we will go tonight." She raised an eyebrow at him. He shook his head with a dark chuckle. "Do not tempt me, my love. I have waited for you for so long, I can wait a little longer. After the wedding. Entice me then." He growled, giving her a peck on her cheek. She laughed with her voice like bells. He could hardly believe this was happening. How on earth,  after all of the fight that she had in her, had she given up on her desire to be separate from him? He was slightly suspicious. Her will was as strong as an ox, but she had seemed so genuine. He could see her pain, her frustration. And he saw her relief now, as though the kiss released her from all of those conflicting thoughts that swirled inside her.

Her arms were still around his neck. "Time for sleep, then?" 

"I think that's a good idea. Come," he patted her thigh and she moved off his lap. He took her hand and lead her into bed. Once they were both settled, he pulled her close, her head resting on his chest. 

She looked up at him, questions sparkling in her pretty green eyes. "What is wrong?" 

She bit her lip. "I was just thinking...Tomorrow is the banquet. I will meet the court, won't I? I'm just not sure-"

He shook his head, cutting her off. "Don't worry about that. They will bend over backwards for you, never think otherwise. To them, Sophia, we are untouchable. We might as well be the Gods of this land." 

She sighed in relief it seemed, but there was something else that was bothering her. "About that, what am I exactly? After all this time, I still don't understand what power you possess, and now what I am..." 

It was his turn to sigh. He wanted to tell her, but he knew how she would react. And he would do anything to prevent her panic. "I am old, Sophia. And I am not so simple that I can easily explain to you. Just know that I am powerful and I love you. That is all that really matters." 

Her curiosity got the best of her. "But where did you come from? Where is your family? Others like you? What even are you? I saw you change somewhat at the blood bond, but-" 

"That, my love," he said rubbing her back, trying to bite back a laugh, "Is a story for another time. But I can ease your worries of your new state. As for what you are, you are not quite equal to me. You don't have powers like I do but you do contain...well a part of me. You are definitely no longer human. And you will live a very long life." 

She looked almost disappointed but he couldn't help but smile. After their emotional and physical revelation, these questions she harbored inside were spilling out of her. But she showed no fear or concern, rather a genuine eagerness. Like a curious little cat. "I have no power at all?" 

"It's hard to explain. You do have some abilities, but I will have to show you. You have to grow. You only just changed your body, my love. Nothing is so simple, so straight forward." 

She sighed, just as he expected. He kissed the top of her head."Now, time for bed. I can't have a tired queen, now can I?" 

She sighed again, almost like a yawn, and snuggled closer.