Chapter 8

What? Another early update? Yes! 

I can't guarantee that this will happen all the time. I've just been so excited about the story that I can't wait to post. I do promise that I will continue to post at least once a week (on Wed. if I don't have do an early update)

Enjoy!

............

Sophia's POV: 

I was taken from the market immediately. None of the guards addressed me or spoke to me at first, but I was fine with that. They treated me somewhat gently. The only time they had to use anything close to force was when I refused to get into the carriage. 

"No." It wasn't what I expected at all. Just a large wooden box. There wasn't even a window for me to look out. It looked like a cage with wheels. "No, I'm not going in there." 

"Enter the carriage, Milady." 

"Please, please don't make me." I pleaded with him. He was the only one brave enough to speak to me. He must be the leader. Maybe he would be willing to help me.  

He gave me a sad look before shaking his head. I tried to make eye contact with the other men, but they all looked ahead, avoiding my eyes. None of these men were going to help me. The leader took hold of my arm, guiding me into the carriage. "You will be in here alone, for your privacy. It will be a long journey. Let me know if you need anything." 

I said nothing, turning away from him as he closed the door. There was a loud click, making me believe he used a padlock to lock me in. A few moments later the carriage rocked as it began to move. I couldn't help the few tears that fell. The only comfort I felt was knowing that at least I was traveling alone. Maybe Louis would be able to get away for good. 

............

I was thrown into a large room, the large wooden doors closed instantly behind me. I frantically looked everywhere. All that was in the room was a man sitting in a large chair and myself. Suddenly aware that I had company, I looked ahead and got to my feet. The stranger was wearing all black. Black blouse with gold thread designs through it, black pants, and a long black cloak with white fur on the rim. His hair was a dark black that reminded me of crow's feathers and his eyes were a clear blue. But it wasn't his clothes or his striking, dark-good looks that got my attention. It was the gold crown that rested on his head.

I backed up all the way to the door, never turning from him. I was shaking so hard my hands couldn't stay still. He stood as well, but his reaction was quite different than mine. He looked surprised at me. "Sophia, why do you back away from me?" His voice was smooth, calm, as if he was greeting an old friend. As if he knew me.

At the most, he looked to be in his early twenties. Compared to my 18, it was intimidating. I was expecting an old man, holding on to his empire through stubbornness and on the brink of dying. This very handsome version looked almost trustworthy, almost concerned. But I knew better.

He walked toward me. "There is no reason to be afraid of me, Sophia." He said when I wouldn't respond. "I will not hurt you."

"Wh-what about Louis? Will you harm him?"

He narrowed his eyes and my heart skipped almost painfully. I had made a mistake mentioning Louis. "That traitor is no one you need to concern yourself with, I assure you." He waved a hand, dismissing the subject away. "I know you know who I am, just as I know who you are. I am the ruler of this vast empire that you have been fleeing through." He almost sounded annoyed with me, like I should have known better. "I would have had you here sooner, but an inconvenience got in my way. But none of that now. We are together now, and I can explain everything."