Chapter 5

A/N: Hello everyone! 

Wow! It feels like every time I update there are new readers. That's amazing! Thanks so much for reading my story. I hope you guys enjoy it so far!! 

Also VERY IMPORTANT! There is a tad bit of violence in this chapter. Read at your own risk. 

............

Damn it. I was running into, yet again, an obviously touchy subject. 

However, unlike when he mentioned Jared, his voice and expression had an edge to it. The feeling of dislike was clearly mutual between the two men. 

I looked away, planning to just drop the whole conversation entirely. He raised an eyebrow at my silence. "Don't look so surprised. I'm not sure why, but the king has always treated me like a thorn in his side. If it weren't for my father at all, I probably would have been in an even lower position within the court. Besides, what better way to show how insignificant I am than to make me his personal jester, having me at his beck and call?" He kicked a stick at his feet, his hair covering his eyes. "And my father is too embarrassed by me. My magic has never lived up to his own, and he would never jeopardize his position within the court. At least, not for me."

My heart ached at that, finally realizing that he put saving me ahead of everything in his life, even the approval of his father. Maybe this situation we were both in could be a new start for him. "Then don't go back." He looked at me, startled. "I mean it, when I get to go home and things go back to normal, you should stay with me." His eyes widened and I blushed, realizing how it sounded. "Uh, well I mean I could show you how to live in my world. I could help you get adjusted and start a new life."

He smiled at that, and I swear he was beaming at me. "I would like that very much." 

I swallowed, my arms breaking out in goosebumps. "Eh, anyway, how far are we?"

He laughed at my attempt to change the conversation. "We aren't even halfway there."

"Ugh, really?" 

He laughed again and I smiled back, the awkward tension quickly dissipating as we continued on. 

Louis POV:

This was getting more complicated by the minute. The plan was to save the girl he put in danger, not become attracted to her.

But he couldn't help it. She was so strong, so brave. She was afraid and yet she was ready to take on any task she needed too. And she trusted him fully, something he thought would take time. He had meant what he had said to her the day before. She was quite fierce.

And Gods, was she beautiful. He would never admit it, but when he first saw her, he was just as affected by her beauty as the king.

Maybe even more.

It was as if she was created for him out of every fantasy he'd ever had. She had long, thick golden hair. Not quite blond, not quite brown. Her eyes were a green that could only be compared to emeralds. And her body- maybe she was created by the gods. Only they could create curves so perfect they tempted him to the brink of sanity. Thank the heavens he found those shapeless, old farmer's clothes. 

He had known for a while there was a connection between the two of them, one he didn't yet understand or could explain. But why else would the Gods send her to him like they did?  The only mistake of their encounter was that King Adrian had seen her as well.

He looked over at her as they walked, her golden hair shining. The thought of Adrian laying his hands on her gave him the familiar feeling of disgust and guilt, but also something new that surprised him. Jealousy.