SHALL WE?

"I've been in this rotting cell for three days now. I'm so tired of being caged up like an animal, and I'm so sick of worrying about using this bathroom in here. Out in the open. At least I have my journal back. One good thing in all this doom and gloom."

–Words from Audrey's
personal journal

____

THE TRISKELION SHIELD
June 17th, 2012

     THE dress stared back at her and laughed.

     The elegant black velvet attire, hung on a metal hanger, which was hanging off the steel bars inside her cell. The agent guarding the cells walked down the row of them until he stopped short at hers, the clothing draped over his forearm, and without a word, or any explanation, left it there.

     Now the dress was a reminder that the charity party grew closer by every passing hour in the day, and the reality that she had to be present at the ridiculous event, loomed over her like a dark, stormy rain cloud.

     Kill me, she thought as she rocked back and forth on her bum, knees pressed up against her chest, and arms wrapped around her legs. She had been seated in the corner like a civilized human being, now the close proximity of the white walls, and never changing room, made her impeccably bored. I should have asked for a punching bag.

     Audrey mentally kicked herself for being stupidly selfish in asking for a desk and a chair, which she received two days ago, and her journal. The little brown notebook sat on the corner of her small wooden desk, placed on the opposite wall across from her bed. The wooden chair, that creaked each time she sat in it, was slightly pushed back from under the table.

     She had thus far not seen a curtain over the open bathroom, one of her requests from Fury not fulfilled yet. She had been careful with the way she ate her rations, drinking water only when necessary, just to keep from using the open toilet. She tried to wait for shower day, since there were bathrooms there—with stalls—but, when she absolutely needed to go on those days she had been too greedy with water, she gave in and used her jail cell's bathroom.

     Never in her life has she felt so small, and humiliated.

     Audrey suddenly stopped rocking in her spot on the floor, and yawned. A pit of drowsiness slithered through her body. Stressing herself out over the charity party, thinking of ways to escape the event, and the neck brace, drove her to exhaustion. Sweeping her eyes lazily over her small jail cell, listening to other prisoners around her in their own small box, she sprung to her full height and walked over to her cot.

     Perhaps a little sleep might do her some good, before the big party.

____

     Her shoulder itched once again through the gauze, hidden secretly under the dress. The assassin's gun wound was healing nicely, at least, that was what the nurse had said to her as she cleaned away the old bandage from the other day. Audrey figured as much since the young woman placed a smaller cotton netting on the area instead of a bigger white bandage.

     She touched her shoulder, lightly tapping her fingers on the bandage under her dress, curious. There was a slight lump to her one shoulder, compared to her other one, but one had to really take a close look in order to notice. Her hand slid down the rest of her arm, and unrumpled the clothing around her ankles.

     Due to her shoulder being injured, Fury kindly picked a one shoulder, long sleeve, long black gown that draped to the floor. The material skimmed her silver two inch high heels. There was a split in the dress that ran from her thigh, down. Allowing an opening and exposure of her left leg.

     Her hair was also done in a comfortable, yet fashionable way. Dark auburn curls cascaded passed her shoulders, just reaching her shoulder blades, and elegantly pulled half way up into a sparkling silver hairpin. Also around her neck, instead of the clunky electrical brace, was a thin silver necklace, adorned in miniature diamonds. The jewelry may have looked pretty, but was deadly nonetheless, for it was only replacing the first one she wore.

     Fury felt inclined to let her know, that this one was at an even higher voltage. She suspected he only wanted to frighten her so she wouldn't do anything ridiculously stupid at this party, or get any funny ideas of escaping SHIELD's clutches.

     Her fingertips barely touched the piece of jewelry around her neck like a dog collar, when the sound of her cell door lurched open and jolted her back to the present. "This way," said the male guard. "The party's already started."

     "And without me?" she asked with a pout. "How dreadful."

     "Just shut up and get up stairs, would you?"

     Audrey smirked as she stepped out of her cell and saw Fury standing at the end of the hall. The guard loudly closed her cell with a bang! but she didn't flinch this time. "Are you not going?" she asked sweetly.

     "Sadly, no. Some of us have more important things to do then go to a party."

     Audrey's heels clip clapped clip clapped all the way down the hall until she reached the director and came to a stop. She continued to hold the smirk all the way. "Such a pity," she said in her chocolaty smooth accent.

     Fury didn't budge a smile. "Don't worry, I have friends in high places that are dying to meet you. You'll love them." It was Fury's time to throw a smirk at her, which in turn wiped hers away. Unexpectedly, the director gave his forearm to her. "I'll escort you," he said rather dully, noticing her questionable look. "Shall we?"