KISS AND TELL

FACES undoubtedly elated, cheeks a healthy rosy pink, and lips that were a bit swollen, the two lovers entered into the Triskelion's lobby wet and tired. But, they were staggeringly happy. Practically glowing with joy.

     As if the couches in the lounge area, with a flat screen television showcasing the news 24/7 was invisible to them, they flew by the cafeteria, and the lady at the main desk raising her voice in a desperate attempt to get their attention to sign them in. Both villain and hero ignored their surroundings and headed straight for the elevator. Which was, as you guessed, silver.

    A beat of silence wove between them as they waited in the elevator after the door closed on their heels. "So," Audrey began after some time. "Did you rehearse that little speech you did back there about, 'where you go I'll go' just before you left SHIELD?"

     There was a pause.

     Then.

     "Sorta." She snapped her head in his direction, fake accusation written across her features, along with hurt. He rolled his sapphire eyes, which appeared to be startlingly bluer at the moment. "They were words from my heart. I didn't need to write a speech down to tell you my feelings. Who does that anyways?"

     "How cute," she said rather blandly.

     He gazed across the elevator to her from the corner of his eyes, beginning to slightly fret. "What?"

     "You're truly a romantic at heart."

     His shoulder's relaxed, sagging a fraction from the tension she so quickly built up in their confined space, as he jokingly retorted, "Call me Oscar Wilde."

     "I don't like poetry."  

     A smirk danced at the edges of his pinkish-red mouth against her earnest frown she sent up at him. A jolt of enjoyment crackled through his body, causing his stomach to ride up and up on a high roller coaster, when he realized how short she was against his 6 feet structure. He rather found her height adorable, even amusing; precisely now since he stood next to the Englishwoman studying her. 

     During their little staring contest, the elevator dinged their arrival and the doors slid open to a stretch of hallway. "Ladies first," Steve commented, gesturing with outstretched hands facing the exit.

     She barked out a laugh, rather unladylike, and thought, no lady here. "If you say so, soldier," her voice purred, twining with her accent as she spoke.

____

     Audrey laid her forearms on the long, silver metal table in the conference room within the Triskelion. Sitting leisurely in one of the black, hardback plastic chairs situated around the table. Her dark eyes stabbed daggers at Tony, miffed with the man.

     Steve, along with Audrey who followed close behind, entered the conference room on cloud nine, that is, until they were rudely interrupted by Iron Man scolding them for their tardiness.

     "Uh ha! And they even bothered to show up! Did you stop at McDonald's—if you did, and you didn't get me a cheeseburger, I'ma—"

     "Tony," started Steve, hair dripping rain water and flattened against his forehead, stared with tired blue eyes narrowed at his friend. The soldier was thoroughly unimpressed. "Shut, up."

     And that was the end of that.

     Everyone placed themselves in odd intervals around the rectangular table. An Avenger seated three to two seats before the other, and once more, poor Audrey had to wait patiently before presenting her part of the story with Viper. 

    I think I deserve a huge tub of ice cream after this meeting for my patience. Ha! Now I'd like to see Steve stuff his statement down his throat for 'patience not being my virtue,' she thought, a tiny smile crawled up onto each corner of her lips. Her chestnut eyes instinctively drifted to the man of her thoughts, flickering lower to the little exposed flesh under his jawline covered by his suit's collar. Imagining where her smooth lips would peck at that neck of his when they were alone, she was forced out of her daydreaming as soon as the Black Widow's subtle cocky voice cut through her trance.   

     "Please, last training session I gave you a paper cut. If I wanted to cut you open, I would have, trust me."

     Clint scoffed, salty over their conversation. "A two inch cut isn't your usual 'paper cut.'" He quoted with his fingers, whilst dramatically extending his partner a sassy roll of his light blue eyes.

     "Yes it is. Besides, you complain too much." She waved him off and jerked her chin towards Audrey. "So what did Viper have to say?" The black spider was the first to ask, feet swung up on the table as she leaned back in her chair, making the furniture look much comfier than it actually felt. "By the way, how is she? Haven't talked to her since SHIELD and I ran into her last year at the supermarket."

     "Just dandy," Audrey said in a clipped tone. "Now may I proceed?"

     "Floors all yours." Natasha's hand swept across herself. A delicate smirk tugged on her blood red lips. Her green eyes—striking against her red wavy hair—twinkled with mischief. 

     Audrey paused to scrutinize them all, excluding Steve who sat two seats down from behind her, and thought they were acting a little, strange to say the least. Or perhaps this was the first time they all seemed to acknowledge the assassin without clear hostility or the fact that the Black Widow had regarded her with an air of ease, and playfulness? No, that's not possible. I thought they all disliked me, after all I am...Her eyes widened ever so faintly. What am I anymore? Her heart sped up at the worrisome thought. I've fallen for someone the complete opposite of me. What am I? Who am I?

    Right then and there a terrible thought tormented her mind. For someone to have to think if they're still a villain is an oh-so-dangerous and rocky road. The assassin's heart was surely, but gradually changing, and she hardly knew how to deal with the shocking awareness of this whole new side of herself that she never knew she possessed. As if she was internally wrestling amidst the good and evil within herself, and she didn't know if her heart's desire was to lose to the dark, or to the light forever.

     She fought for so long with herself, convincing herself that the darkness was inviting, which it tended to be, but merely for a little while until it consumed her to a chocking point where she couldn't carry on. 

     Audrey felt doubt creep into her mind, seeping its malicious uncertainty into her heart. Making her do what she had never had to do in her life before: rethink being an assassin. 

     Mentally riding herself of such strong considerations, scary ones at that, she retracted herself to the present. For now she had a job to fulfill, one that didn't involve stealing a painting but capturing her father.        

     The English swallowed back her shock and neutralized her emotions before they made an obvious appearance. Heaving out of her chair, and walking to the head of the table where Clint stood in the darkened corner, his head of blonde hair catching her eyes being the only light colour to pop amongst his black and purple suit, she began to retell the evening's events to the group. All doing so with the help of technology.

     The English grasped a black remote that she snagged from the table walking by, and by clicking on the power button in red, a blue holograph protruded from the middle of the table. Similar to Stark's Ipad, the blue of the holograph leaked out of a Duo Polycom StarkStation in the center of the phone. 

     A knowing smile perked her lips ever so slightly when she peeked at the brand of the phone. What doesn't Stark make for SHIELD?