NAIVE OLD GRASSHOPPER

THE TRISKELION SHIELD HQ:
DIRECTOR'S OFFICE
July 9th, 2012

    "SHE does exceptional at hand-to-hand combat, but her speed, even for a human without her powers, isn't very fast. She does seem to have fun taunting her players though," Maria told.  

    Hands crossed neatly behind his back, Fury stared thoughtfully out his office window. A crooked smile edged his mouth, then he frowned, thinking about what agent Hill had said earlier. "She's holding back," he blurted out, realization struck in the back of his mind.

    "I thought the same observing her these past two weeks. The last training lesson she showed a little more speed, skill, and aggression," she said, mulling over the last training session as she retold the story. "If it weren't for Rogers stepping in like he did, saving agent Torres from a brutal beating, we would have had to use the course's traps on her. My only guess as to her motive in all this, is that she wants to show us what she can really do but under her own terms, which would be either in a fight with the Avengers, or as shes escaping us."

     "Of course," he mumbled, another smile crept upon his mouth. This one held a fatherly adoration with a pinch of annoyance. "Sometimes I wonder if she likes to make dramatic entrances like Stark."

    "Well in this case it would be an exit, instead of an entrance, sir." Maria held back the smirk but coughed out a chuckle into her hand, then straightened her shoulders.

    "Right," began Fury and shifted round to regard Maria. "Leave the observation notes on my desk, I'd like to take a closer look at them later for myself. And in the meantime..." He paused to think. "Keep a watchful, and mindful eye on her. One more week and then we make our move."

     Maria nodded in understanding. "Do you think she'll cooperate with us?"

    The thought had crossed the director's mind several times. Her cooperation in helping the Avengers on the missions was key to making his plans work. But did he really need her now that Zachary was on their side? He still was leery of the man, and wondered if Zachary's intentions were to get his sister out of jail. Fury couldn't figure out how much loyalty remained between the Embers, if there was any at all, but he wasn't going to take any chances.

    "I guess we'll figure that out soon," he said, then added, "She's not stupid. She wouldn't try anything yet if it thwarted her plans of escape. She'll cooperate as long as she gets something out of us, but until then, we keep to the plan. Get the next training course ready, and make it the most rigorous. I want to push her."

     "I've already got the next one planned," replied Maria with a mischievous smile. "And I don't think you'll want to miss it."

____

     "You're such a sweetheart Jasmine."

     "Well it takes a sweetheart to know one, girlie."

    Please, for the love of everything holy, make it stop, thought Audrey, rubbing either side of her temple. For the past hour and half, the Englishwoman endured having to listen to a conversation between her prison guard, and her best friend on FaceTime.

     "You're too kind doll face," replied the guard's friend. The young—and beautiful if Audrey had to be honest—blonde guard laughed. Her ponytail swayed with her giddy movements.

     Growing ever so annoyed by the minute, the assassin's heels dug into the mattress of the prison bed, as her jaw tightened in an attempt not to let loose any profanity that might slip from her mouth. Legs propped up on the bed, Audrey's eyes carefully observed the guard through the slight opening in her legs. In that moment she desperately wanted to yank the end of her hair and sucker punch her.