MR. KITTY

ONE YEAR AGO August 7th 2011 
(Event also recorded in Audrey's journal)

     THE hissing whine of a metal knife reverberated in the chilly air. Eyes a cut of steel like the knives the assassin herself wielded, and darker than night, numbly stared back on dark ocean blue eyes that were, in their own sense, dead like hers.

    A winter's frosty breeze blew past and through Audrey's french braid. The tip of which that reached to her shoulder blades, rocked with the violent wind. Her chestnut eyes never wavered from the Winter Soldier's or to some of Hydra's henchmen giving orders to their weapon, right after he dealt with one of their 'threats,' that needed to be taken care of.

    Deep in the icy mounts of the Ural Mountains, Russia's great European Plain, Audrey Embers stood a few footsteps away from the man who killed her mother and destroyed her life. Among others who did her wrong.

    To see him now once again, and so disgustingly close, made her insides twist with unbearable anger and madness. The soldier's eyes continued to cling to the assassin, when the last whisper of an order had been spoken to him and all those around him scattered. Left alone, he stared a little longer until his legs moved mechanically in her direction. Snow crunched under the weight of his boots.

    Audrey sucked in a breath, knocked out of her blind rage like a punch to the gut, when she saw him advance. Her mind had been on one thing and one thing alone, her prey. She was like a fox only seeing the chicken in the field, and not the farmer with the gun ready to shoot the animal if it attacked his livestock.

    Finally she detached her eyes from his, and found the fading pink and blue winter sky more agreeable to stare at. She had hoped he would have moved past her, like the wraith he was, and was sensible enough to ignore the strange woman—Audrey—who stood by the doors that led into Hydra's headquarters. But she was startled to find that the Winter Soldier had halted next to her. Their shoulders inches from touching. He paused before the doors as if he were going through them into the building behind her, and she stood near the doors as if to continue her pursuit outside.

    She was conscious of the weight his eyes brought upon her when they lingered on her profile, and yet she refused to budge under his parlous gaze. "Делать я знать вы?" (Do I know you?), Hydra's weapon asked in Russian, his voice raspy due to lack of use.

    Her hand crept to her gun on the side of her thigh, but she stopped her movements immediately and chastised herself for her foolishness. All things come in good time, she thought. Covered in a long black woolen coat to keep the nasty chill of winter out, she wrapped the material tighter around her body that which was in her black leather jumpsuit; the ends of it that draped to her ankles, rustled about. She tilted her head up, as if she were inspecting the cliff in the horizon. "нет, но я предложить вы часы ваш назад," (No, but I suggest you watch your back), she replied coldly, then spat at the ground behind him.

    Angling her head his way, she sent one final glare before completely walking off in the opposite direction without another word. He watched her closely. A little confused, but very intrigued with this new creature. He wondered who she was and why she was so angry.

____

     Audrey jolted from her dream, breathing irregularly sharp. Moonlight streamed in through her window and lit the small room in finger like silvery rays through each bar. Twilight remained over the city, that much the assassin comprehended as she awoke from her slightly delusional groggy state. Audrey rolled on her side and curled into a ball, shoving her face further into her pillow. Her jaw clenched and eyebrows furrowed. She always felt like a mess when he entered into her dreams and drove them to turn into a nightmare.