THE LION, THE AVENGERS, AND THE ASSASSIN

JULY 10th, 2012

SHE sprinted up a flight of stairs.

Sweat coated her backside, and everywhere in between her body. She could hear her blood pumping in her ears as her adrenaline skyrocketed. Her black combat boots abruptly skidded across the polished wooden floor as she escaped into a different room.

One of Audrey's pursuers grabbed her arm in a failed attempt to stop her. She blazed forward, missing the person's grip and ramming her fist into a nose. A strange sort of evil satisfaction rushed through her, when she heard the indubitable crunch of bone snapping out of place.

After dealing with one agent, she dove headfirst, narrowly avoiding Captain's shield and somersaulting forward as the flying object skimmed over the heel of her boot, and bounced off the wall next to her.

Fast as a whip, she jumped up from her roll and immediately headed for a different staircase set a few feet in front of herself. As she ran, she saw the end of Hawkeye's black leather coat flap in the rafters above. Her eyes followed his movements as she ran for the stairs.

Once she made it there, without a scratch, she took the steps two at a time, but slid to a halt when Captain America came into her view at the top of the staircase. He stood a few feet away, shield slung around his arm itching to be thrown.

At first her eyes filled with genuine surprise that he even made it up to the second floor quicker than her. She blinked away the emotion, and nothing but a cold disposition was left in its wake.

A sudden flash of red caught her attention, but the moment her eyes latched onto Natasha creeping in the shadows, was a precious second wasted. The distraction costed her, and the air in her lungs left her mouth as Steve's shield collided with her midsection.

She fell backwards to the ground, and rolled side over side until her back slammed into the banister. She felt the wood shift before it snapped from the nasty collision with her body. A wheezy gasp left her parted lips. Her eyes, where death seemed to linger in their black pools, flickered up and saw Steve's dark form closing the fair gap between them.

She gradually got to her feet and as she did, discreetly plucked up the knife, blade first, snugly hidden in the side of her boot. She skillfully flipped the weapon around in the palm of her hand so the blade stuck out, while her hand gripped the hilt.

The assassin's prey noticed her first strike and managed to dodge the sharp blade. The next hit he wasn't so blessed. He pulled back and hissed as an angry red line formed under the tear in his stealth suit. Steve's blue eyes flashed over to Audrey, who tilted her head like an amused alley cat.

"A pity," she said in a purr like laugh. "A little lower and I'd have hit a main artery." Pure madness glimmered in her dark eyes that sparkled in the low lighting. The smile that hit her mouth was feral.

Steve's own eyes slightly widened because of the lack of humanness in the toothy grin, and to his horror, he took a fleeting step back. He let go of his arm and curled his fist ready to swing a punch on her, but Audrey was quick and sidestepped. She spun around and with the butt of her knife, rammed it into the back of his head.

She watched, entertained, as he stumbled forward, tripped, and held a hand to the nape of his neck where his helmet didn't cover his head. As he spun round to get up, she launched herself at him and straddled him to the floor. Blade posed to strike naked flesh across his Adam's apple.

"Okay that's good!" shouted Fury through the intercom. Audrey's wrist froze from slashing the weapon across his neck. A few inches more, and the floor would have been running a ruby river of Steve's blood.