Sing For Me by Trlluvium on AO3

The woods were quiet.

Jimin held his bow, arrow nocked, but he kept the string loose as he stood as still as the trees around him.

The sudden silence unnerved him – the birds had stopped singing, the bugs stopped buzzing, and the wind itself seemed to have come to a stop, cutting out the rustling of the leaves.

The longer the silence stretched, the more on edge Jimin became. He slowly drew the string, the arrow's many feathered fletching brushing against his cheek. The sound of the yew bending, even as carefully as he pulled back, seemed to echo off the trees.

One minute passed.

Two.

Three.

Jimin's arm ached as he waited, but he didn't let down his guard. Eventually it would come. Even when he was starting to shake, and a sweat broke out over his brow, Jimin did not move.

A rustling to his right – Jimin spun and loosed his arrow without thought. There was a yelp and the sound of something crashing to the ground. Sound returned to the forest in a rush, the birds chirping, tree branches creaking in the wind. Jimin rushed to the place he'd shot, slipping around foliage with ease, though he didn't have to go far.

Lying on the ground, the hunter's arrow pinned through his shoulder, was a man-like fawn. He was naked, a brown downy layer of fur covering the majority of his thin body. Blood dripped down his arm from the shoulder where the arrow had pierced him. The fawn's eyes were huge, brown irises that left little visible white showing, his pupils contracted down to the very center. Darker brown skin contoured his high cheekbones and broad-bridged nose, and a spattering of white freckle-like spots covered his cheeks.

"I-I know who you're looking for," the fawn said, his deep voice shaking. He panted, his body trembling as blood slipped out of the wound in his shoulder.

"Do you?" Jimin knelt down before the creature. He placed a finger on the end of the arrow, putting just enough pressure on it for the fawn to cry out, tears forming around his massive brown eyes. The creature tried to crawl back away from Jimin, but the hunter grabbed one of his antlers. The small growths protruded only an inch or two past the height of Jimin's fist, telling of a recent shedding or perhaps a young fawn.

"Then why don't you tell me where he is?" Jimin felt a gross sense of satisfaction at seeing the creature gasping and shaking with fear. He'd killed things all his life – his father had been the best hunter in their village and had taught Jimin his ways at a young age – but those were all animals, birds, rabbits, deer. As much as Jimin despised all spawn of Gaia, it was his first time shooting something so humanoid.

The fawn shook his head, his wide ears flopping. "You don't want to find him."

"That's a funny thing to say." Jimin ran his finger past the fawn's forehead, down its broad nose. He found that the darker brown skin was actually a thin layer of peach-fuzz length fur. Now that he was up close, he was curious about the creature. When he pressed the pad of his thumb against the fawn's wet, black nose, the thing turned his head away and sneezed, his ears flapping against his cheeks from abrupt movement. Jimin laughed softly. "Cute."

The fawn glared at him. He was sweating now, breathing more labored than before.

"Tell me where he is and I'll let you go," Jimin said, flicking the end of the arrow.

The fawn cried out again, his long fingers digging into the soil and detritus. The blood flow was beginning to slow, his eyes sliding in and out of focus.

Jimin sighed and grabbed the arrow, twisting hard to bring the fawn back to full consciousness. "Don't die on me now, fawn. I don't want to have to hunt down another one of you. Do you know how long it took for me to get here?"