Thirty Five

"what are the chances that you and i"

O N W A R D S;

He was in a room of some sort, with two large paintings hanging on the wall facing him. The decor of the room was simple but elegant with an off white color painting the four walls of the room. He casted his eyes on the nearby couch that was littered with toys; trucks, cars and little action figures and his eyebrows raised in confusion. Swiveling his heels, he went forward to inspect them, picking up one of the action figures that happened to be Spider-Man he grinned as he put it back down. Spider-Man had always been his favorite.

He was still unaware of where he was but his legs managed to take him to another part of the house where a huge flat screen television was turned on showing a cartoon. He watched in fascination as the children's show continued to play and his eyebrows scrunched together, what adult would watch this? Dragging his eyes away from the television, he again saw toys littered on the floor in bundles and a large puzzle laid out on the floor that had yet to be completed.

He suddenly knelt down and picked up one of the pieces, examining it. He then placed it where he thought it should go and smirked when it fit right in place.
"Daddy" a voice suddenly yelled.
Caleb whipped his head towards the sound of the voice as his eyes caught sight of a little boy scampering towards him.
"Daddy!" He said again lifting his arms as he approached him.

Caleb was awestruck as the child attached himself to his legs; he was at a loss for words. The child completely unaware of Caleb's confusion only showed him a toothy grin as he stared up at him expectantly.
"I wasn't expecting you yet." The small boy was still smiling.
Wait? What did he mean yet?
"Who do you live with?" Caleb asked, his eyes leaving the boy and looking around the house as if trying to find someone else.

The boy still had that smile to his face, a smile Caleb suddenly found looked familiar.
"No one in particular," the small boy answered, Caleb was trying to place an age to him maybe five or six, he thought.
"What do you mean no one in particular? Who takes care of you? Who feeds you?"
But the boy just kept a smile on his face, "I am being provided for there's no need to worry."

Caleb was flabbergasted, the child seemed too calm and collected. He studied the young boy's face a little longer trying to gather information on whether or not he was actually okay and if whether or not Caleb should call the police. Caleb looked the boy up and down from is blonde hair that seemed almost identical to Caleb's when he had been that age and green eyes that looked like........ like Geor —
Wait.
"What did you call me?" Caleb asked suddenly.

The boy smiled wider, "Daddy!"
Caleb suddenly took a step back which caused the younger boy's hold on his legs to disappear.
"Wait.... What..... How....." Caleb's eyes widened.
"How am I your father?" He asked, "What did you mean by you weren't expecting me yet?"
The young boy nodded, "Mummy had me when she was very young but I couldn't stay with her." He said sadly.

"What's your name?" He asked nervously.
"You know my name Daddy." The young boy giggled.
"Anthony." He whispered slowly.
Anthony suddenly giggled, "Yup that's my name." Anthony suddenly looked thoughtful, "No one told me you were coming...." he trailed off.
"They would have told me that you would be arriving ."

"Arriving where? Where is here Anthony?" Caleb was becoming flustered and confused.
Anthony suddenly looked Caleb in the eyes, "Daddy, you know deep down where you are."
Caleb gulped but he didn't want to think about it, he didn't want to think he was actually d—
Suddenly the little boy grinned, "I've always wanted to meet you, but they said that I had to wait."

"Anthony who is they? Caleb asked.
Anthony grinned again shaking his head, "Come and play cars with me!" He urged Caleb forward.
He followed the boy through the house before he handed him a car and pulled him down to sit beside him.
"Why isn't your mother here?" Caleb asked wearily.
Anthony smiled a little, "It wasn't her time yet."
Caleb gulped, "So.. it's uh my time?"

Anthony suddenly looked deep in thought and the suspense was killing Caleb before the little boy suddenly shook his head slowly, "No, you're only visiting."
Caleb's eyes widened, "H— How do you know?"
Anthony shrugged, "They told me."
Caleb didn't bother to question him and who they were again, he had a pretty good idea.
"When do I have to go back?" He asked.

"Whenever you want." Anthony said smiling.
Caleb nodded, "If I go, who'd keep you company?"
Anthony grinned, "I'm never alone."
Caleb nodded, suddenly feeling nervous about the question he was about to ask, "Did you hear what I said? That time in the cemetery?"
Anthony suddenly caught his eye, his emerald ones reminding him so much of the woman he loved.
"Every word." Anthony smiled.

Caleb smiled back extending his hand to the boy and the younger boy immediately jumped into his open arms.
"You're mummy and I miss you a lot."
Anthony nuzzled his nose into Caleb's neck a little more, "Don't worry daddy, someone else is on the way."
Caleb's eyes widened but he didn't say anything, "Anthony, is mummy okay?"

Anthony suddenly leaned back to look at him nodding his small head, "Yes, but she misses you. You've been asleep for awhile."
Caleb's breathing hitched suddenly torn between staying with Anthony longer or going back to Georgia and as if Anthony read his mind he spoke up, "It's not your time Daddy, you'll see me again but not until you live out the remainder of your life with mummy." The kid sounded wiser beyond his years but that was expected being in the place he was.

Caleb simply nodded as an answer, "I'll see you later Anthony."
Anthony nodded, "I love you daddy."
Caleb smiled and kissed his son's forehead, "I love you more"
"Watch over us will ya." He smirked a little.
Anthony nodded his head vigorously, "Of course you're my family."
Caleb reached over to take him in his arms again but suddenly his surroundings started to shimmer and he sighed, "Bye Daddy." He heard Anthony whisper before everything went dark.

~*~