Chapter 2

~Blythe~

"A Party Of Kittens And Pandas"

I fiddled with the blanket scarf I wrapped around myself, tugging it tightly like I was a human burrito. No matter how many times I changed, I just felt like any outfit was off. I had never been to a party and didn't know what I was supposed to wear. Fancy? Casual? Ugly Christmas sweaters? I would have loved the latter but according to Laurel, if I showed up in an ugly Christmas sweater she would disown me as a friend. So I settled on a long sleeved dress with a thick blanket scarf to keep me warm. Now the dress didn't glow or didn't have a funny looking reindeer on it, but it was a cute dress.

As I stared at myself in the mirror, I ran a list of excuses on how to get out of going to the party in my head. I have developed a new and very contagious sickness called partious and it was deadly... No that won't work... How about... I'm banned from that street because of a puppy revolution where I set every dog free from their homes? No, that's even less believable.
My phone dinged, and I sighed, giving in. I knew I had to go, one way or another, and no partious or puppy ban could prevent that.

I picked up my phone to see a reminder to leave in a minute to pick up my friends to take us to what most people would call 'the best time of our lives.'

Yeah, that was clearly wrong.

~*~

"Welcome to hell," Laurel mumbled as we stood on the front porch, waiting to knock. Phebe snorted with a laugh and I chuckled.

"Come on guys, it won't be too bad. It's my boyfriend's party, I'm sure he would never host a boring or awful party," Camille shook her head, fixing her hair.

"Maybe we should go to Mcdonalds instead, I heard there are fewer demons there." Phebe quipped and Camille playfully glared at her.

"I do really want some junk food right now..." I mumbled quietly.

"Come on guys, we're already here, might as well make the most of it," Valerie said and knocked on the door.

I leaned towards Phebe and Laurel and whispered, "Yeah, five introverts in a house full of extroverts, what could possibly go wrong?"

We started laughing but completely fell silent as soon as the door opened and revealed Hayes wearing the half smile he always wore and a large crowd of people behind him.

Camille ran into him and gave him a big hug and he quietly hugged her back. As they hugged and caught up, we awkwardly walked in, trying not to stare and laugh as Laurel, Valerie, Phebe, and I gave each other the look.

Camille had been dating Hayes for a while, and every time they were together we weren't sure if we should make jokes or remain silent. What we decided on was give each other the look while remaining awkwardly silent.

Camille stepped away from Hayes and blushed pink. Phebe winked and Laurel smirked and she turned red.

"Well, you guys can chill, the kitchen is to the left and the bathroom is down the hall." Hayes said as he dragged Camille away as she waved bye to us.

"Hey, he's stealing her from us!" Valerie pouted, her big blue eyes like those of a puppy.

"Should we go after them?" I asked, looking back and forth between my friends.

"Nah, let's find a corner to chill in," Laurel said and started walking into the crowd and Phebe followed her.

Valerie and I nervously gave each other a look and weaved our way into the crowd until some big guy ran into Valerie, spilling his drink all over her. I jumped back, wide-eyed and shocked.