Chapter 9

~Blythe~

"One of the boys"

"Why can't I understand this?" I hissed at my textbook.

"Have you tried rereading it?" Laurel Wreath quipped from beside me.

I groaned and rolled my eyes. "At least four times. And each time I reread it, it makes less sense than the last time! Why can't science be easy? Or at least mediocre?"

Laurel shrugged without looking up from her sketchbook, where she was fine tuning a beautiful piece of hers that she had been working on for the last couple of days.

We were in one of the quiet rooms in the public library. We were there to study but as usual, Laurel decided to draw and my brain decided to not make sense anymore. Every time we got together to study and do work, we would tell ourselves that we would actually put in effort, and every time we would fail.

My phone which sat next to my book rang, and I happily dropped my textbook to pick up my phone. Hermes had responded, and didn't fail to make it a hilarious response. I was surprised with a laugh and texted back a simple XD. I had told him earlier that I was 'studying' and so my responses would be short and quick. He didn't mind.

"Maybe you can't focus due to the amount of texting you're doing. Every time your phone rings you get all excited and completely forget about your work. What's that, the twenty fifth text you've received from him?" Laurel raised a condescending eyebrow at me.

"No," I mumbled, "it's the eighteenth."

"Oh wow, I was off by a whopping seven," she smirked.

"Anyways, it's not like I would've been able to focus even without his texts," I argued.

I shut my book, deciding I was done with it for the day. It wasn't like I was going to actually get the information I needed. I slipped it into my bag and leaned back in my chair.

"Done so early? You haven't even learned a single thing."

"One: I've been studying for an hour and a half-that's not early. And two: I have learned one thing, and that is that the textbook has it out for me. I've already gotten three paper cuts from this thing." I grumbled as I looked at my bandaged fingers. Paper cuts sting and are just as bad as stepping in legos, and we all know that stepping on legos is pure agony.

"Maybe your teacher will give you some sympathy points for your wounds," Laurel laughed.

I smiled and shook my head when my phone rang again. I picked it up.

HERMES

Hey, I'm having a couple friends over at my house, wanna come?

ME

I can't-I'm at the library with my friend.

HERMES

Who's your friend?

ME

Laurel Wreath. Why?

HERMES

Perfect. Bring her over too.

ME

I don't even know if we can go.

I looked up from my phone and at Laurel.

"Hey, so uh, Hermes is having people over and invited us. Do you, uh, do you want to go?" I asked.

"Hermes from school? Ugh isn't that one of Apollo's friends?" She asked in a disgusted tone.