Chapter 11

~Valerie~

“The Adventure”

The engine roared to life as we pulled out of the driveway. I can’t help but giggle at Blythe’s eggar behavior just moments ago. Blythe always had an odd sense of humor. I couldn’t keep my focus much while Duncan was driving. I hate to admit it, but I was extremely nervous I never thought that I’d come to a point like this in my life. 

“How are you doing?” Duncan asks, drawing me out of my deep thoughts. He kept his focus trained on the road glancing to look at my face for a split moment. 

“I’m okay just a little tired that’s all,” I say, my eyes still focused out the window. I know the look on my face must’ve made it seem like I had elevator music playing in my head. 

“Well I wanna take you somewhere, but we’ll grab some fast food first.” He says, grabbing my free hand with his. I had to admit it was nice, but I felt uncomfortable yet safe. It was confusing for me, I’ve never been in an actual relationship.

After about five minutes of driving, we reached the drive thru- of McDonalds. I liked to call it Maccas, but everyone here was confused when I called it Maccas. I got a double cheeseburger with the small fries. Duncan had gotten chicken nuggets with a large fries and a chocolate shake. I admit that I like to eat in the car more than eating in front of a lot of strangers who’ll judge me on my food choices.

Duncan pulled into a parking spot and pulled out his phone snapping a picture of me while I was fixing the hair in front of my eyes. My yellow top was all wrinkled and my pants made my thighs look two times bigger than they were. 

“You look perfect, wipe the worried look off your face.” He says, removing my hands from my face.

“If you say so,” I mumble under my breath. Getting an amused look from Duncan biting into his fifth nugget. 

“Feisty much?” He laughs stuffing a french fry in his mouth. 

“Yes?” I say, but it comes out more like a question than a statement. My face was reddening each second he looked at me. 

“You shouldn’t feel uncomfortable kitten, just speak your mind.” He says, rubbing circles in the palm of my right hand as I looked at my lap.

“Still don’t like kitten, but I’m starting to accept it.” I say, a wide smile present on my face. He’s actually trying to make me feel comfortable which was different from his usual self. 

Duncan seems to lean in closer to my face our noses almost touching. My heart was pounding out of my chest. My head went fuzzy and the world became dizzy just thinking that he might kiss me. I pull back farther away from him trying to calm myself down instead of freezing up like I tend to do.

“We should probably get going,” I say laying a hand on his thigh on accident, feeling the need to hide my face with the sleeves of my shirt again. 

“Yeah” He says with an exhale pulling the car out of park. 

In a burst of confidence I put my hand on his knee rubbing it in soft circles. “Thank you for taking me out Duncan.” I say, pulling my hand back to where it was before in my lap. Duncan grabs my hand putting it back on his knee, “No need to thank me just yet Val” He smirks, laying his hand on top of mine. 

The drive takes us through some of the woods just outside of the small city I call home. He pulls the car onto a gravel road soon after parking it near a long dirt trail. We hopped out of the car after he had parked it. I was starting to think that he was taking me here to kill me in the woods and bury my body in an unmarked grave.