Chapter 4

~Valerie~

Monday mornings are nobody’s favorite. I look down at my phone, the alarms blaring in my ears. I barely got any sleep with Blythe, Phebe, and Camille’s constant texting. I usually just try to ignore them, but I need my alarm in the morning so I’m screwed either way. Shuffling up to my mirrored doors, I see my pale red sleepy face. I look terrible, exactly the way how I also feel at the moment. My dark blonde hair stuck up in every direction, I must’ve tossed and turned all night.

“Time for makeup.” I yawn, grabbing my small makeup bag from under my white frame bed. My Harry Potter pajamas laying low on my waist and the shirt hanging high on my belly.

I finished my makeup, applying just enough to cover the redness in my face. I decided to go with some mascara making my eyelashes double in size. Not to mention the eyebrow gel, because you know, I don’t have any eyebrows.

“Val!” Camille screams up the stairs, “We’re going to be late!” She exclaims, putting me into rush mode.

I scramble down the stairs in five minutes flat, carrying my medication in my hands and my bag swung over my shoulder. “I’m ready, just need to take my pills.” I say, placing the pill in my mouth and dry swallowing it. I hate dry swallowing my medication.

Camille hops into action, leading me out the door to her car. Her twin brother Freddie, was sitting in the shotgun seat. Blythe and Wreathy were sitting in the back seat, their height evident when I sat down next to Wreathy. They were both about 4’11” or 5’ 0”, but honestly I couldn’t even remember.

“Why don’t you come on over, Valerie!” Hayes sings, popping up from the back seat scaring the shit out of me. I scream a little at his sudden presence. Blythe and Wreath seem to be laughing, they definitely planned this out.

“Sorry Kora, they told me to do that.” He says, pointing at the two laughing like hyenas. Hayes and I had lived next door to each other since we were in diapers, our mom’s are best friends, but Hayes spends the weekends at his dad’s house. He always liked my middle name more than my first name, because it was easier to say.

“You are the only person I know who is happy on a Monday!” I exclaim, my hands still clutching at my chest from his little prank. “I’ll get you back, Meadows.” I say, giving him a glare.

“I told you to tell nobody about that!” He whisper yells, giving me a returning glare.

Camille cuts in between our bickering, “Stop it you two, I won’t hesitate to kick my best friend and boyfriend out of this car!” She yells, her eyes glued to the road leading to school.

“Okay.” I say, a pout making its way onto my face.

“Whatever.” Hayes says, giving me a sly smile and a small laugh. Which in turn made me laugh, because honestly we could never stay mad at eachother.

Camille finds her way into the parking lot, that is half empty. I'm starting to think that we're early and not late to class, but I'm fine with being early I've kinda always have liked being early. She turns off the engine of the car, not saying anything. She's usually not in a bad mood, but I wouldn't want to pester her about it.

We all leave the car, carrying on our own different conversations. Hayes walks up to Camille and grabs her hand gently. I think they make a beautiful couple, even though I hate being their third wheel at times. I could see how much they cared for each other, even the way they looked at each other made me long for a relationship. One that would seem to never exist.

I hear the rumble of an engine approaching, as I near the end of the parking lot, making me snap my head around to see who it was. Duncan parks his bike, even though we made amends I didn't really want to see him. I still didn't quite trust him.