Chapter 6 1/2

Chapter 6 ½

~Camille~

"I'm not your Diane"

I no longer know what to do, I've been keeping everything hush hush. He's done nothing wrong, I don't want him thinking I'm in love when I'm not. Hayes, he is just such a nice guy. A broken one at that, I don't want to hurt him. He'll always be one of my greatest friends, but I think it's time for an end to this teenage love story.

We became a thing in the summer of Junior year, neither of us really knowing how long it would last. As the year dragged on, I started to notice feelings fading. I will always remember the beach and the scorching sun. The way we looked at eachother so intently, I will only take the memories of that summer with me. We'll always be two peas in a pod, but not in that way anymore.

I would never be the Diane to his Jack, I wouldn't even be the Rose to his Jack. I wasn't right for him, but I have faith that he'll find someone who loves him as much as he loves her. They'll have the perfect love story, I wish everything for him, even love.

Hayes
Hey, what did you want to talk about before?
Camille
I think that we aren't good for eachother... I just I'm not your Diane and you aren't my Jack. I wish things like this were easier to do. I just never thought that I'd have to do this.

Hayes
What do you mean? I really love you, I thought that you wanted this too...
Camille
I don't know if I'm ready for something like this. I think that we should see other people, we can always still be friends?
Hayes
If this is what you really want I won't stop you. Don't get me wrong, I'm not happy about how this has turned out. You will always have a place in my heart, you know that? I've got to go and get ready... I guess I'll see you another time.
Camille
Thank you Hayes, I hope we can still be friends?
Hayes
Definitely. I'll talk to you later. Bye.

I hate to say it, but I can't believe that he was so understanding. I guess when you love someone you have to let them go, and just hope they come back at some point.

I tumble around my room trying to get ready for the morning, looking at the plans that we have this week. Today, dance after school. Tuesday, project in Mr.Keller's class. Wednesday, test in Mr.Walker's class. Thursday, test in Mrs.Walker's class. Friday, hanging out with the group after dance practice.

I grab the keys to my car, the snow white paint equally as white as the freshly fallen snow. I was always the designated driver to school, I usually pick up Hayes, Blythe, Laurel Wreath, Valerie, and my twin brother sits silently in either the front or the back of the car.

Freddie walks out to the car silently, taking a seat in the front. I make my way to the driver's seat, turning on the engine. The first stop would be to Wreathy's house. Then to Blythe's, and finally to Hayes and Valerie who live next door to each other.

Wreath hops in the car, her face red from the cold air outside. She was clutching onto her sketchbook, her glasses focused on her latest piece.

"So how's it going with Apollo?" I ask, trying to strike up a conversation. Mostly because Freddie didn't really talk much around my friends. I absolutely hate complete silence.

"He just gets on my nerves, like he's cute and all, but I cannot handle his ego!" She exclaims in anger, she white knuckles the pencil that is in her hand. She clearly didn't like Apollo, even though Valerie told about his weird behavior around Wreath.

"Sorry for asking. I just really think that he likes you?" I question, looking at the top of her dark brown hair through the rearview mirror.

As we pull up to Blythe's house, Wreathy moves over a seat so that Blythe can scoot in without a problem. Blythe hops in almost as if we triggered her spidey senses.

"Hey!" Blythe exclaims happily, her backpack flopping to the ground. She was dressed head to toe in fluffy jackets and winter gear.

"Hey." We reply, giving Blythe a warm smile before taking off to Valerie's.

As I park the car, Hayes jumps into the back seat making Blythe scream. Lets just put it this way, Blythe didn't handle surprises very well.

Valerie was taking too long, time for her rude awakening I guess. I go to the front door, the door being answered by her mom and dad who were heading out.

"Thank you Mrs and Mr. Summer's!" I fastly stated, heading for Valerie's room on the second floor.

"You know better than that, you are allowed to call us Davy and Maddie." Mr. Summer says, giving me his signature goofy grin.

"I'll try to remember that!" I exclaim, running up to Val's room. If I didn't get her up she would never be ready in time.

I decide to scream up the stairs instead of using unnecessary energy to pound on her door, "Val!" I yell, hearing footsteps from her room, "We're going to be late!" I exclaim. I can hear the rush of her feet on the floor like a herd of elephants.

Not even two minutes later, Val runs down the stairs. She looked all ready to go when she exclaimed, "I'm ready, I just need to take my pills." When she's done swallowing her medicine she goes out the front door to the car. She was totally zoned out, freaked by the thought overload.

All of the sudden Hayes pops out from the trunk of the car, singing. Surprisingly he wasn't that bad of a singer, but he scared the shit out of Valerie. Which made her punch Hayes in the arm with a lot of force. With all the bickering between the two I couldn't focus and drive.

"Stop it you two, I won't hesitate to kick my best friend and boyfriend out of this car!" I yell, giving them both a fright. They both let out a grumble, apologizing to each other. Then they started to laugh so loud, I guess being best friends for most of your life means not getting angry for a long period of time.

We pull into the parking lot, I make everyone get up early so we never have to get tardies. Especially since Val liked to be there earlier than most so she could relax and prepare for people before they came.

As we walked through the parking lot Hayes walks up to me, lacing his hands with mine. He leans down and whispers in my ear, "I think Val will kill me if she hears that we broke up. So let's just try to pretend to date so she doesn't lose it. Just until she heads her own way." He finishes, giving me a kiss on the cheek as we head into the front door of the school.

He looked slightly awkward as we seperated on contact with the school. I think he was scared of Valerie more than anything, but she was a really sweet and understanding person. But on the other hand Val was frightening when she wasn't told important info.

As I walked and thought, I bumped into another kid. I dropped all my books on the floor. I looked up from my books when the kind person helped me to see a pair of piercing Hazel eyes. A bright blush appeared on my tan skin.

"Sorry I ran into you." I state, standing up to get another good look at him.

"It's fine, but could I get some help?... I'm kinda new here. I transferred her from London." He says, rubbing the back of his neck. His dark brown hair wavy and thick on top and thinner on the sides.

"Uh.. Sure!" I exclaim, brushing a piece of my long brown locks behind my ear.

"Well, I got to get to Mr. Grant's class. Do you know where it is?" He asks, his English accent sending shivers down my spine.

"Actually that's my first period too. It's just down this hall, the second to last classroom to the stairs." I say, my nerves calming as he looks down the hall.

"What's your name?" I ask, his head snapping towards me. His perfect white teeth making me swoon.

"My name is Justin. Justin Blake. And you love?" He asks, giving me what seems to resemble a smirk.

"Oh, I'm Camille Napper. My friends call me Cami or Mille." I say, walking down towards the classroom with Justin.

"Pretty name. I think Cami fits you nicely." He states, I could already feel that today was going to be eventful... I guess new guy is new flirt, but I didn't really mind. I guess.