To Katy

Dear Katherine,

How are you? I want you to ask that to yourself. I missed you. 

It was the day I had to go to the football tryouts, junior year. I was really nervous about not making it to the team, my friends seemed super confident about themselves and me, not so much. 

You came up to me with that smile on your face. 

"Hey kid," I remember you addressing me even though I towered a good seven inches over you. You told me I looked in good shape and that I could kick asses on the field if I wanted. 

You gave me your confidence. It was what made me perform well that day and get myself a position in the team. You stood there the whole time, smiling that same smile I fell for quite easily. 

It wasn't hard to be head over heals for you.

We became best friends, hanging out with each other all the time. It was fun with you. Always. But aside from the laugh that we shared every few minutes, I wanted you to hold my hand, lean into me, kiss me, whisper into my ear. I needed you.

You never told me what caused the sudden change in you but I'm not complaining. The moment you came running into the field after we won the game and your lips fell on mine was the most euphoric I had ever felt. I held you tight like I'd never let you go.

I really thought I wouldn't.