To Victoria

Dear Victoria,

You ruled my heart.

It was the beginning of the senior year, the class was buzzing with excitement. People had started calling me a jock, the famous football player, the one who kept changing girls. I tried to ignore the judgements they passed my way. Instead, I enjoyed the image that got me such popularity.

The first class had begun, it was English, I recall, Ms. White was reading one of Wordsworth. You stepped inside like the queen you were. The new student in school.

You had become the talk of the town as soon as you came, getting into the cheer-leading squad and going further ahead to become the captain. It was natural that you drifted towards us 'jocks' and my heart was really happy that you did.

I was intimidated, I admit.
I thought I wasn't up to your standards. It was foolish of me to have thought so. People thought you were mean, and it was foolish of them to have thought so.

You were the strongest person I knew, the one who had gone through hardships I know I could never survive. And you had come out to be the beautiful person that you were -  helpful, caring, smart. I never knew I could unravel this side of you, but I feel lucky that I did.

I remember us kissing under the bleachers while we both avoided practice, laughing at silly things and just being happy.

You made my world better, Victoria, and I hope I said it enough times for you to believe it.