Prologue

When the airplane finally landed, I got out of the airport as fast as I could. All those security checks seems completely useless to me but, necessary for the airport and safety of the flight. I continued walking swiftly as I grabbed my luggage it was already becoming dark and the sky looked ominous. I took a cab, he didn't talk much at all, which gave me an uneasy feeling. As he stopped in front of the long winding path in the woods my stomach began to twist tightly. It was the creepiest, yet familiar place I had seen. I don't remember anything about my childhood home but I keep in touch with my mother. Sometimes she would talk about how the sounds outside were abnormal, like the sound of footprints, crunching the snow, and banging on the creaky, old windows. 

My sisters and brother are older than I am, and they had gone on their own paths in life, they rarely kept in touch with me, but I still enjoyed my life in the bustling city. It was a place that sparkled, brightly at night and had busy roads and sidewalks in the day. I was always a reclusive type, even though my friends tried many times I never liked to go out. Especially at those busy night clubs, I was never comfortable so, I neglected the option every time. 

All I really remember from my childhood is the farm, which I always loved the natural landscape and wind in my hair. My mother told me at a young age to never cut my hair, she says it's a sign of dignity which I should keep maintained, although sometimes I didn't listen. Today my hair was neatly tied into a bun, so my mother wouldn't yell even with my city looking clothes. As I finally got over the sickness in my stomach, I finally paid the driver and turned back to the unsettling forest. It was dark because of the dead trees hovering over me and there was a small trail with snow all around it. The snow was already pretty packed so it wasn't the first snow.

When I finally began to slowly take my first steps down the flexuosity path, I was already on edge. Each step was very loud because of the snow under my designer, black boots. The trees swayed in the twirling wind overhead. The branches, like arms flexed back and forth, as the wind howled menacingly. I decided I had to be brave and this feeling in my stomach was so familiar, I began having flashes of images in my head, each one was different yet connected. I was so infuriated because of my worsening memory, it felt like it was a puzzle, yet I only had some very small portions. 

I kept on walking trying to forget the retention I just saw and allowed myself to walk a bit faster. That's when I heard a hard-thumping sound behind me, I tried to go faster but my body was very lacking in muscle. I quickly looked around as I was trying to go at my fastest pace and I looked back but there was nothing, I stopped, and the noise also slowed. I was severely freaked out, so I started to run again, hoping it wouldn't continue, thankfully I heard nothing, just the wind. When I finally caught a glimpse of the cabin, it was old and rustic. The most daunting sight I had seen in a while, but I continued towards it anyways.

By the time I was right in front of the charming yet formidable cabin, It was dark and portentous. The distinct front porch was made of old logs and it had a couch and a patio table with a full set of chairs which matched effectively. The light above the front door was dim yet working and the front door was cheerfully decorated in time for Christmas. The glass on the door, which I could barely see into, was foggy but I could see my mother talking with my dad. His hair had more gray than I remember, and my mother had on a nicely knitted sweater matching the cheery Christmas theme. I had forgotten how the house was nicely decorated on the inside and how the fireplace at the back of the living room light up a small area nicely. 

I was about to walk in when I caught a glimpse of a shadow next to me, It seemed so unreal to me at the moment so I was more curious, so I started to go to the side of the house to see what it was and all I saw was snow.