Chapter 4

_______________________________

I jolted awake and looked down at my sketch book. It had no scribbles or scratches in which I had noticed in that off-setting dream. It just depicted the comic half way done. I sighed in relief, got out of bed, and went down stairs to start my day. I had some coffee with a bagel with strawberry cream cheese.

I grabbed the car keys my mother left for me, they are for the old, red pickup with the sputtering motor. I hopped in and put it into reverse to back out of the narrow driveway. I reached the edge of the driveway and saw the path I took on my first day here and a shiver went down my spine, hoping I don't have to go down that way anymore.

When I arrived into town about a mile from the house, I stopped at the café. I hoped to get a job there to get some extra money for food and my schooling expenses. I went inside, gathered myself to speak with one of the employees when suddenly a person trips and spills her warm coffee on me.

"I'm so sorry, I didn't see you there and add that with my obnoxious clumsiness" she said in hurried and apologetic tone. I replied calmly "It's no problem, I'll just go to the restroom and try to get the stain out." She nodded, looking at me like a misbehaving puppy after getting yelled at. I then stopped myself from walking away and asked "Are you somebody I know?" She stared at me blankly then replied "Your Douglas and Samantha's child, aren't you."

I replied in excitement "Yes, I came here to go to university." She looked at me, a small light in her eyes, I didn't notice before. "Oh that's amazing, what major?" "My major is in music therapy." She then nods approvingly. "What is your name, I never caught it." "Dahlia, I'm sorry I guess I never introduced myself." "And I am Alisia."

I finally left for the bathroom and tried to use water to get the coffee stain out, but of course it doesn't come out at all. I sigh, just ready to go home and sleep the rest of the week. Although I know I have to go to classes starting next week. I then walk up to the counter and greet the worker warmly.

The worker stares at me blankly as I start to ask "May I see your boss or manager, please?" She then nods and points to the door behind her. I walk in, she seemed strange, not talking and such. I shrug at the thought and enter the boss's office. I then state that I need a job and ask for an application. "I will think about it, here is your application, we will also schedule an interview and review your skills and position."

I nod, saying "That is perfect!" I almost yell too loud and made him jump. He looks at me sternly and then he gives me the papers, I then leave, embarrassed. While leaving I also run into an old friend and she yells "Oh shit, Alisia?" I look at her, then yell just as loud and obnoxiously "Kamri!" I stare at her in awe. "What the hell are you doing now a' days?" I laugh at her and mutter "Just here for university, I major in music."

She looks at me surprised then says "My bitch finally found her calling." She wraps her arm around me, snickering. I look back and roll my eyes.

"Hey where our other classmates, now a' days?" I mimic mockingly. "They found jobs, some moved away, and some I don't even talk to." she says ignoring my mockery. "Well I gotta run I have a date tonight." I roll my eyes, she always used to be--still is a major hoe, but she knows it all too well. At least she doesn't lower herself to cheat. I then leave and get into the pickup, starting its loud, sputtering motor.

When I got home I was tired, even though I've done almost close to nothing. I notice mom and dad aren't home yet so I go upstairs, stealing a snack before, and hopped into bed. I sigh and stare at the ceiling. I think about things that shouldn't or would never be thought of. As I drift asleep, I finally get some good rest...

Winter's Dark Pastजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें