Maryse Gets A New Beginning.

For the next few weeks, Maryse started her divorce proceedings with Mike and I stayed out in the hall with Monroe. She enjoyed spending time with me. It was when the judgment was passed down that Maryse' mom Sophia watched over Monroe as I attended the final hearing. I sat directly behind Maryse. The judge came in and sat down before we sat down. "Now, I understand it that there's been an agreement reached between Miss Ouellet and Mister Mizanin?"
"Yes, your honor." Maryse' lawyer said standing up. "The agreement is that they split the marital assets 50/50. And they'll be spitting holidays with their daughter Monroe. And She'll spend the summers with her mother while spending the school year with her father. When she reaches the schooling age."
"Anything else?" We all looked at Mike and his lawyer.
"No, your honor." His lawyer said.
"Okay. Now as I understand it. Miss Ouellet, you're staying with a friend of you and Mr. Mizanin's?"
"Yes, I am." She grinned.
"Would you mind standing up sir?" She asked me. I stood up and clasped my hands in front of me.
"My name is Daniel Boyce, your honor," I said before she could ask.
"Now you have a home outside of Rigby, Idaho."
"Yes, ma'am."
"Is it big enough to accommodate Miss Ouellet and her daughter?"
"Yes, your honor." I pulled an architects plan from my back pocket and handed it to the bailiff. Who handed it to the judge.
"It's quite impressive Mr. Boyce." The judge said as she folded the plans and handed them back to the bailiff who then handed them to me. I put the plans back in my pocket and she continued. "Will Miss Ouellet's daughter have her own room?"
"Yes her room is eighty square feet in every way. The ceiling is forty feet high. I'm already getting it prepped for Monroe."
"Well, it sounds like you've thought ahead. So once the parties sign the papers. It will be officially done." She hit the gavel and Maryse and Mike along with their lawyers stood up as the judge left the room. Once she left the room. Mike and Maryse' lawyer left us three alone.
"Well, Maryse. I'm happy that we could come to an agreement."
"As am I." Maryse smiled as I stepped up to her right side.
"Hey, you take care of her."
"I plan to." I smiled. Maryse slid into my side. "So are you going to be okay on your own?"
"Yeah. As long as Maryse is happy. I'll be fine." He extended his hand and I took it and pulled him into a bro hug as Maryse smiled.
"Okay, boys." She smiled. I giggled as did Mike as she hugged him and kissed his cheek. "Now just because we're divorced, Mike. Doesn't mean that we don't want you to be a part of our lives or help out when we can."
"It's impressive how she went right into saying we instead of her." I smiled.
"Well, we are going to be living together Daniel."
"Fair enough." I giggled at Maryse' response. We said our final goodbye's and we headed to our home as Mike headed to Austin, Texas. Since we had some time to spare in terms of time off. Maryse and I decided to have Monroe come with us for the next week or two. Mike agreed and we took Monroe to my home and the crew I had hired to prep her room just finished preparing her room. They were leaving as we were arriving. Maryse and I covered her eyes as I unlocked the front door and walked to her room. Once Maryse opened the door to her room. She was so happy that she started garbling and clapping along with cheering, 'Momma, momma.' Which to me meant that she liked it. Maryse put her on the floor and she crawled to a big set of plastic legos and started to put them together in unique ways. I wrapped my arm around Maryse' shoulders and she leaned into me as we watched Monroe play around her new room. "You know, I got to admit that they did a good job. They mixed a playroom with a regular bedroom for her."
"Yeah." Maryse smiled as she saw how happy Monroe was. "You know we need to go on that date."
"Yeah. Why don't we wait until Mike picks her up and we'll go."
"Actually I was thinking that since my mother is going to be here tomorrow afternoon. That we could go out tomorrow night."
"That works." I smiled as I looked to Maryse and kissed her forehead. Maryse and I spent most of the afternoon and evening playing with Monroe. And while she got Monroe fed and ready for bed. I looked through the attic and found my old black acoustic guitar. Dusted it, cleaned it and tuned it. And once I set up a tall guitar stand in the corner of the closet in Monroe's room. I headed to the bathroom where Maryse was bathing Monroe.
"Hey, babe." Maryse smiled as she momentarily looked at me. "Uncle Dan's here sweetie." I kneeled by Maryse and helped her wash Monroe's hair. I held her up as Maryse shampooed her hair and rinsed it. Once she was done. She dried her daughter off and it was really fun seeing how much Monroe made Maryse smile. Once she put on a fresh diaper and a pajama onesie on Monroe. She and I walked her to her room and put her to bed. I grabbed my guitar and made sure it was tuned perfectly.
"Well, here goes nothing." I smiled as Monroe started to settle down. I started playing 'Almost Home' by Craig Morgan on the guitar and even sung the words perfectly. She slowly fell asleep and once she was out. I finished the song and put the guitar back before joining Maryse by her bedside.
"How come you never told me you could play the guitar?" Maryse asked.
"How come you never asked?" I responded.
"Well, Monroe loved it. Usually, I have to fight her to get her to go to sleep and you play your guitar and sing a song and wham she's out."
"I would say it's a gift but a miracle would seem more relevant." I smiled as I moved the teddy bear I had gotten for her closer to her. She instinctively snagged it gently and held it close. "Goodnight little one." I leaned over and stroked her head and pulled back as Maryse leaned over and kissed her daughter on the forehead.
"Now, you be a good girl and stay asleep until morning." Maryse smiled as I turned on the nightlight then we left Monroe's room.
"You know what Maryse?"
"What?"
"I know it's presumptuous but. Maybe tomorrow you and I can move your stuff into the master bedroom." She looked at me for a moment. "I mean. It's still too soon to do anything too rash like get married or even contemplate a family of our own. But at least you won't have to worry about sleeping alone in your bed."
"That actually sounds wonderful." She smiled.
"Well, in the morning or while your with Monroe. I'll start moving your stuff into the master bedroom."
"Sounds good babe." She hugged me and before she could pull away, I slid my right hand behind her head and my left hand behind her back and brought her in for a kiss. She was surprised for a moment then just melted into it. I pulled away after a moment or so and she leaned her head so our foreheads touched. "You're a spectacular kisser."
"Your no slouch yourself you know." I grinned as she giggled.
"I can't believe that Ashley got to kiss you all that time. When you two split up. I worried about you for so long. But you just put on a brave face and just ignored your way through the pain of the breakup. Not to say that I wasn't relieved that I didn't have any competition from the Punk Rock Princess herself."
"But you were married or engaged as I recall. So it would have been hard to explain to Mike why you were with me for a month."
"Right."
"Well, Ashley was a good woman. But I think my heart always belonged to someone else."
"You think?" She crossed her arms.
"Okay, I know that my heart belonged to someone else." I smiled. "And I hope in time. She'll be more than happy to be married to the Hellion from Hell's Playground."
"I would love to. But not for a few months." I nodded at Maryse' statement as I wrapped my arms around her waist and she wrapped her arms around my neck.
"Well, for what it's worth. I think that You and Monroe are the highlight of my life. And yes I know she already has a dad. I just hope that she'll see me as a good stepdad or a cool one instead of the person in the shadows."
"She will."
"Come on, let's get some sleep."
"Agreed." Maryse and I headed to the master bedroom and she and I slid into bed after changing into some sleepwear.
I took off my glasses and put them on the bedside table and once I switched off the overhead light. Maryse and I snuggled closer together. "Goodnight, Maryse." I kissed her forehead.
"Goodnight, Daniel." She smiled as she kissed my cheek.