Chapter 3

“I-I’m sorry,” she stuttered stupidly, “I just saw your back and…” Her mouth hung open like some stupid fish for a moment, then she realized what she looked like and quickly closed it. She lowered her head again to be barely above her propped up knees, “I’m sorry.”

I turned away and grabbed an old concert tee folded in the top drawer. I slid it on and pulled the loose strands of hair out from beneath the neck line before turning back around. When I look at her, I see nothing but trouble. I see something that makes me hate the Moon Goddess for creating more than one kind of creature and making them all so different.

Why did she have to keep all of her children alive, instead of killing off the weakest like she taught us. I was taught, from her stories and legends, that the weak must die and the strong prevail. Only then can the purest bloodlines be passed down and her children become the greatest over all others.

Why she decided to keep her weaker children, and let them all roam freely among the earth just to fight off and kill one another, I have no idea. These alliances we’ve made with one another and the treaseas we’ve all made are bandages on a gushing wound.

This earth is poisoned with many years of cross breeding and illogical marriage. Alpha’s marrying Omega’s because of physical attraction neither of them can see past. Humans being allowed to continue with their petty wars creating rifts in their societies that are mental barriers they all see as physical. Demons take the souls of any living creature, leaving a polluted shell behind. Vampires eat one another for celebrations, out of hatred, or just simply because they can not control their thirst.

But Vampires are the worst. They kill in thousands, not caring where the bodies are dumped or if the victims families even find the corpse. How can a society thrive that allows cannibalism? How can they believe that their fates allow such an atrocious act?

A knock at the door pulled my attention away from the girl and I looked over at the intruder. I walked to the door and opened it quickly, seeing a maid on the other side. She looked shocked when she saw my clothing, but didn’t say anything when I gave her that don’t-fuck-with-me that look. All the servants in this house know not to say I am anything but perfect and professional twenty-four seven.

“Yes?”

“Um…” she thought for a moment, then glanced past my arm and through the little bit of the room she can see. I know she’s looking at my pet, probably feeling so pitiful towards her. Wondering what I’ve done to her and what more I’ll do to her once she leaves.

I casually leaned against the door on my left which is still closed, then crossed my arms over my chest and arched my brow, “Do you need something?”

“Yes, Madam.” she snapped out of her daze and looked up at me, “Your father was wondering if you were going to retire, shall I tell him you are?”

I nodded, “Go ahead and tell him I went to sleep.” My voice sounds unusually bored, but I think I just want her to leave. There’s nothing about this conversation that interests me, and I want to talk more with Rae before I got to sleep. Maybe I’ll be civilized and get to know her a little before acting like a complete savage.

She bowed her head politely, “Yes, Madam.” Then turned and walked away towards wherever she needed to go. When she was far enough away, I closed the door after her and turned back to the Vampire.

Her head was up and she was looking at me now, I can imagine she was looking at the maid a moment ago. Probably pleading with her eyes for some kind of escape or rescue. Who knows? Maybe she was even mouthing “come save me this woman’s a nut-case” with her eyes all big and hysteric-like.