Chapter 14

There was nothing I wanted to do more than kill Marlene right then and there, end her tyranny and rid that bitch from this earth. But my father would be livid about it, and, now that I'm getting married, he could make William King and force me to be second in power.

It wouldn't bother me much, though. I'd wait a while until after the wedding, and wait for the country to settle down. Then I'd kill William and take all of the power for myself again. After that, I'd rule solo and run the kingdom to the best of my ability. And probably with my pet too, she'd be with me to support me and consult with me.

I opened the doors to the library and walked to the right, going to a little private corner of the library where I like to sit and read or look over important documents. But it's also a place no one can see me if they're in the library as well, so it's a wonderful place to be if I want some privacy.

Rae's grip on my hand tightened when she saw that we were completely alone. So I turned to her and quickly slipped my free hand to me right on her lower back, holding us close together. Her cheeks reddened, and she looked away, probably because I only hold her like this when I'm drunk. Or so she's told me, I never remember what happens when I'm drunk.

"M-Mistress?" she asked timidly. Her voice is so cute when she's scared, when she has no idea what's going on and looks to me for answers. It's addicting.

I smiled, "It's alright, I just wanted to know if you were okay."

"Okay?"

"About me getting married." I clarified, "Does it bother you?"

She shook her head, "No, it doesn't. I know that you have to do your best for your people, and that means that you need to get married. So it's fine with me."

I know she's lying, her voice always quivers when she lies. And it's wobbling now like she can't breathe in enough to form words properly, but I'll ignore it. Rae might be terrified that I'm going to get rid of her once I get married, but that's not at all the case. Honestly, I was planning on being with her and completely pushing William out of the picture unless we needed to be together for public appearance.

"Are you excited, Mistress?" she asked, her eyes wide with curiosity.

I nodded, but I know she's unconvinced. I would be too in her position. I don't want to marry William, I really don't. It's not that he's a bad man or anything, actually, he's quite nice, but he doesn't have the slightest clue on how to run a country. His parents have been spoon-feeding him from day one and he's never had an independent thought thanks to them. So, if he wants to lead alongside me, I'll have to teach him everything. And I am not a patient person.

Rae knows that all too well.

She uncurled herself from my grasp and took my hand to lead me over to the small couch behind me. I sat down on the faded blue-green loveseat and expected her to sit beside me, but instead she sat down on her heels and knees in front of me on the floor. The same submissive position she takes when she used to get punished or knew that she was in trouble, but this time she's smiling.

"Mistress?" she asked me. She's been calling me that lately instead of 'Madam' like she has before, I don't know when she decided to change it up, but I like it. It gives me a sense of possessiveness over her that I don't get with anyone else.

I reached forward to cup her cheek, our other hands still locked together by our fingers, neither one of us making a move to change that. "Pet?"

She closed her eyes then nuzzled into my hand and sighed contently. She looked up at me and whispered softly, "Promise me you won't sell me when you marry William."