one shot {1}

5 days. It has been 5 days so far.
Lewis Nixon took another sip from an opened bottle of Vat69.
He guessed it was the third one. Or the fourth?
He actually didnt care enough about it.

"Captain Nixon, Sir?"
A voice sounded from outside.
"Enter."
Doc Roe opened the door.
"I thought i might find you here, Sir."
"What is it, Doc?"
Roe cleared his throat.
"Well, the searchparty you sent out just came back..."
"And?"
"Nothing, Sir. They found nobody. Not even a trail"
Nixon closed his eyes, didnt even bother to answer and showed Roe that he was dimissed.
But the Doc stayed.
"Permission to speak, Sir?"
"What?"
"I think i know how you feel right now...But maybe you need to have faith, Sir."
Nixon scoffed.
"I had faith, Doc. After the second day, i was sure that he...that they will be back soon. The third day, i hoped. Now, i am just drinking and try to not think about the only thought i have left..."
"We all try to avoid that thought Sir"

Lew looked at the Doctor. Eugene Roe didnt even look like himself. He looked like he hadnt slept for weeks.
He thought about Roe's words.

Everyone knew how close Nixon and Winters were. Nobody every asked questions about it. And now Lew could see why. Everyone had someone he was waiting for to come back.

The patrol Winters had led five days ago hadnt came back yet.
As such it wasnt unusual the first two days. But after the first searchparty came back with no trace of Winters, no trace of the patrol at all, Nixon started worrying.

He didnt go back to the headquarters and stayed with the rest of the 2nd battalion. Colonel Sink had sent a few runners to drag him back and to do his fucking job, but he didnt care. All he could think about was Winters.
He had replayed many memories of them two. All fun ones, all intimate ones...

"Sir?", Roe's voice pulled Lew back to reality. The alcohol must cloud his mind already.
But it wasnt Roe who talked to him.
It was Speirs.
"What?"
"We found them."

Three words. Three syllables which changed everything.
Nixon jumped up straight and followed Speirs outside.

It was cold. Fucking freezing. Damn he forgot his jacket. But Lew still didnt care.
He stood next to Speirs, who told him how they picked up the patrol's tail and followed it until they had found them, chilled to the bones but safe and sound.

While they waited for the men, Nixon thought about the first time he and Winters talked about their feelings.

《》

It was a cold night. Nixon had slipped off the headquarters to see the redhead.
"Its freezing Lew. I cant feel my fingers at all."
"Should i join you? Two bodies give more warmth than one."
Winters raised his brow suspiciously.
With a sigh Lew slided next to Winters.
"Dont be such a drama queen, Dick! I am just trying to help you...But if you wanna freeze to death?!"
Lew pretended to make a move to leave but Winters stopped him.
"Please, stay. You know that's not what i meant."
"Well, if you insist"
Lew sat next to Dick, shoulder against shoulder. He pulled the blanket over them two and pulled the redhead as close to him as possible.

First they stayed silent, trying to stay warm and become warm.
Then Lew started to undo his and Winters jacket.
"What..?"
"Shut up, Dick! You are freezing to death and i am not gonna let you die..."
He moved closer to Dick so that their noses nearly touched.
Lew felt Dicks warm breath.
They both felt the other breathing in and out.
Both felt their heart racing and nobody mentioned it.

Winters was the first one who started talking.
"Lew? Thank you."
"What for?"
Dick hesitated, choosing his words wisely.
"For everything. For being my friend. For taking care of me."
Lew shrugged.
"That's nothing."
"Yes, it is! It means a lot to me!"
"It does? Well, its my pleasure Dick", Lew winked.
Winters rolled his eyes, frustrated about his friends behavior.
"Stop messing around. I mean it! You are important to me, Lew!"
"Oh, really? Its not that you let me know it in any way...But lets not-"
"Just because one doesnt express his feelings openly, doesnt mean there arent any!"
"Alright, mate! Calm down."
But Winters seemed desperate to get something off his chest.
"Lew, I-...You know, you are more-"
He fumbled around with his words.
Nixon smiled and put his forehand against Winters. He moved so their lips nearly touched each other then he breathed "I know."

《》

"Nix!"
Lewis Nixon nearly fainted when he saw a redheaded man walking towards him. He went some steps ahead, but Winters already reached him. He opened his arms and Dick pulled him really close, so close that it hurt. But Nixon didnt care and hugged his friend/lover/ brother back as hard as he could.

When he looked around he saw Eugene hugging Babe, relieved to have him back.
Spiers hugged Lipton intensively.

You could feel the love, the deep bond between the band of brothers.