1. Birthday

1. Birthday

I close my eyes against the bright light of the bathroom. Closing the door as quietly as possible I turn around toward the mirror. The girl starring back at me isn't the real me. Her hair's a mess and her eyes are bloodshot from tears.

I close my eyes as the memories flash across my vision. I take a deep breath willing the tears to go away for a while. Opening them once again I grimace at my reflection. My eyes take in the bruises across my shoulder and down my arms. I turn my head my arm up to the top of my right arm. I lay my fingers across the bruises to see they fit but the bruises are much bigger than my own fingers. The bruises are set to look like fingers bruised my skin in a grab move.

This will be hard to hide, I think to myself.

I sigh as the tears come to my eyes and groan. I don't need this right now. If I need anything it would be sleep. Since moving to Forks, Washington I remember the only times I actually slept were those first few days.

I remember seeing the Cullen's on the first day of school and not sleeping well because of the way Edward acted on that first day. I hardly see him much anymore; changing science classes changed everything about my life here in Forks.

I look down at the running water from the sink and sigh. Time to get cleaned up, I guess. I brought a rag from the rack behind me under the water and brought it to my arm. The water feels good on the bruised spot on my arm.

Suddenly there's a noise from down the hall. My eyes widen and I drop the rag into the hamper and move toward the toilet. I have to try to make it seem like I'm using the restroom.

I hear a tap on the other side of the door and then a mess of blond hair and blue eyes comes around the door.

"Bella? What the hell are you doing in here? I thought I said not to leave my sight again."

I gulp knowing that I didn't listen and the punishment would be terrible.

"Mike, I had to use the restroom. You wouldn't let me wake you so I left you in the bed asleep."

I stood from the toilet pulling up my shorts and flushing the toilet. I look at Mike's face and shudder. His face has gone red and he looks like he's about to explode.

"Bella, I told you not to leave my sight. If you do it again it won't be pretty!"

I nod my head lowering, "I'm sorry, Mike. I didn't mean to disobey you."

I heard him sigh, "Bella, just get back in the bedroom. We need to get you back home before the Chief catches us."

I nod, "Sure thing, Mike."

I walk out the room and toward the bedroom where my backpack sits. I flip on the light and look over the room. My clothes sit on the floor and I groan quickly moving around the room. I grab my clothes from the floor pulling them on over my tank top and underwear.

I pull my sneakers on my feet and find my backpack beside the closet. The door of the bedroom suddenly opened and I snapped up to my feet. I looked at the door to find Mike walking in the room in nothing but a towel wrapped around his waist. I sigh and groan internally my arms pulling my backpack on my back.

Mike walks to his closet smiling at me. I give him a small smile and step to the bed taking a seat. I glance away from him as he walks around naked to his dresser. My eyes glue to the wall where a picture of us sits on the wall. That was before. That was before everything changed and before Mike became who he is today.

I heard the crumble of jeans and I sigh in relief turning back to Mike. He walks around the room in jeans finding a sweatshirt on the floor and pulling it on his torso. I watched him pull on some sneakers from the floor of the closet.