14. Stalker

14. Stalker

            My nerves pick up a thousand fold as my body becomes rigid. Mike’s eyes hold amusement but there’s something else that puts me on edge as my eyes meet his across the small distance between us.

“H-Hey, M-Mike.”

He shakes his head as he begins walking closer to me. I gulp out of nerves and habit watching his stance as he walks. I’ve always been able to tell what Mike might do just based on his body language. Since we are in public I don’t have to worry too much on specifics because he can’t hurt me in the middle of a crowded square. Mike’s always been cautious about when and where we have a confrontation.

“How have you been, Bella?” Mike asks a smile on his face. His blue eyes sparkle almost reminding me of the old Mike. The Mike that I actually might have liked before the store closed and his dad left him and his mom.

I force a strained smile to my face nodding, “I-I’ve been-n f-fine. It w-was Ch-Charlie’s idea f-for me not to see y-you…”

I can feel my face heating up at the lie. I’ve never been good at lying to Mike and he knows it better than anyone when I’m lying.

Mike laughs sarcastically shaking his head, “You went along with it, Bella. You could have gotten away whenever you wanted just like you did tonight. I can already assume by the lie you told your father that this isn’t about some history project of yours. It’s something much deeper.”

I nibble along my bottom lip as closes the distance. My eyes flicker around us to the many people walking around. A few people glance toward us in curiosity glazing in their eyes before they continue along their way. I wish someone would stop and see what’s the matter. I’d be able to climb into my truck and escape to home without incident. I would have to lie to Charlie about eating out but I’d be safe in the house with him without Mike breathing down my neck about something.

“I don’t particularly like Cullen around you, Bella. You know how I jealous I get. Do you like provoking my bad side? I thought we were just having a small break and that you’d come crawling back as usual. I suppose I was wrong about that, I guess. Don’t worry though. The Cullens and everyone in town will understand you belong to me soon enough.”

Mike stands directly in front of me causing my heart to beat erratically. I begin to wonder if Mike or any passerby could hear my heart beating. My grip tightens further around the strap of the bag I’m currently carrying wishing I had the courage to raise the bag and hit him upside his head. Just the thought makes me smile mentally as I can’t smile on the outside to let Mike know what’s going on inside my head.

I wish I had told Edward where I was going. I wish he were here with me right now. Hell, in this particular moment I would choose to have either Alice or Rosalie with me. Rosalie hates me with everything in her but I would prefer to have her with me. Something tells me she’d protect me the only way the Cullens could.

My foot steps back automatically as Mike steps even closer the crooked smile on his face attempting to look almost like Edward but he fails miserably. Mike’s smile puts immediate fear in body while Edward’s incites pleasure in my body.

My truck sits behind me as I flinch toward the truck as Mike reaches out a hand toward me. His hand takes mine enveloping my entire hand with his own.

“I thought we could have dinner together. I could apologize about what’s happened and we could put this behind us, Bella.”

He pulls on my arm as his hand tightens his grip around my hand. His other hand takes my bag from me opening my truck with my key from my pocket. He places the bag behind the seat before locking the door and sliding my keys into his jeans.