VII.

"There is no sinner like a young saint."

VII.

"Get behind me, baby. You still got that gun?" He keeps a lookout as he blocks me.

"Yes." I say as I look all around to see them coming from every which way.

"Carl, mom!" I yell as they run up to us.

"Follow my lead." He tells us and we walk with him as he starts shooting. I point my gun at one coming our way and pull the trigger getting it right in the head. A few more surround us and me and Shane take them out. Screaming and chaos surround us as shots fire and suddenly I realize that my dad and the others are back. Rick quickly comes over to us as he shoots as many of them as he can till finally there's none of them left. I grab Shane's bicep as he was still standing in front of me and he turns around and hugs me.

"You did good." He tells me, I nod.

The night turns into daytime as we start moving the bodies. Andrea was still crying over Amy's dead body and we had just found out Jim had been bitten. We had ultimately decided to go to the C.D.C. because it was Jim's best chance and worth the shot for us to see if their was safe passage there. Although, I had agreed with Shane on going to Fort benning, the group and eventually Shane warmed up to the idea of going with Rick's idea.

*Shane's pov

"Let's do a sweep." I tell Rick. We grab our guns and walk off into the woods.

"Go ahead, say what you're thinking." He says.

"I still don't think the CDC is our best shot. Fort Benning is the place we need to go to, we shouldn't be goin' back in the city. You gotta consider if putting Lori, Carl, and Jade in that kind of spot is going to go well."

"I gotta do what's best for my family. Why can't you back me up?"

"I don't know, I guess I just don't see it." I say.

"If it was your family you'd feel differently." I stop walking and turns to look at me.

"What did you say to me? I kept 'em safe, man. I looked after them like they were my own." Anger stirs within me. I was there for them when he wasn't. Maybe not Lori considering she was off doing her own shit not giving a damn about her kids but Jade and Carl? I took care of them and when the world went to hell I saved them and kept them safe. They were both my family. Jade now more than ever. I loved that girl so damn much and I would do anything to protect her, Rick coming in here thinking nothing has change was starting to piss me off. It's been tough running things but I pulled through and did it and always did what I thought was best for everyone. Going into the city is not the best idea. I don't want Jade exposed like that out there.

"I didn't mean it like that."

"How'd you mean it?" I question him.

"I'm sorry, Shane. Look, you know I can never repay you for all of that." Giving me his blessing to be with Jade would repay me but I know it's a long shot. Jade is Rick's little girl, if he finds out we've been messing around he'd put a bullet in my brain.

"Whatever, man." We continue walking for awhile checking out the area when he speaks up again.

"Lori said you and Jade have gotten close."

Of course Lori said something, when she saw me and Jade in the tent together I had no doubt in my mind she would go running to Rick to tell him.

"Yeah, she don't have anyone else." I say.